Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quartz Extreme required

I tried opening iMovie '08, and got the following message;

Quartz Extreme Required
iMovie requires a graphic card that is compatible
with Quartz extreme. One or more of your graphics
cards does not support Quartz Extreme.

I have never gotten this message before, and I have no idea on how to proceed so I can open iMovie.
Please help!!!

Stan

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Apr 19, 2008 1:58 PM

13 replies

May 11, 2008 7:41 AM in response to Songstan

I also have this problem and cannot open iMovie '08. I just trashed my iMovie application and have been trying to find a previous version to download but have not had any luck, yet. I think there ought to be a link somewhere to instructions on how to resolve this for those of us without the quartz extreme graphics cards, but no luck there, yet, either. Wouldn't it be nice to just downgrade to a previous version?

Apr 20, 2008 8:21 AM in response to Songstan

That is a very odd problem, and I have it from time to time myself. I was at an Apple store a few weeks ago for an i Movie inservice, and that messaged popped up and trainer was frustrated too. The only thing that I do to get rid of this pest is to shut down and restart, which is fixing the symptom, but not the problem. The trainer at the Apple store went through MacBook Pro and stated that my computer graphic card is compatible with i Movie...so this is not a fix, just a time consuming way around the message, good luck

May 11, 2008 10:23 AM in response to PabloRW

PabloRW,

You can find iMovie HD 6 here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

I believe you will have to have iMovie '08 installed on your system in order to install it.

It seems to me your GeForce FX 5200 should support Quartz Extreme.

If you choose About this Mac under the Apple menu then click More Info you'll be able to see if Quartz Extreme is supported.

See "Verifying compatinility with System Profiler" here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301347

Matt

May 19, 2008 7:32 PM in response to Songstan

I had the same problem. I knew it was a configuration problem, not a hardware problem, because other users on the same machine were still able to run iMovie successfully. After poking around I ultimately fixed the problem by going to System Preferences > Displays, and setting Colors to "Millions". Somehow this setting had been changed to "Thousands".

May 25, 2008 1:59 AM in response to Songstan

I have the same problem. I cant get imovie to work or photo booth. They both say the graphics card does not support quartz extreme. Obviously this is a load of rubbish as it always used to work, and i am running a 12 month old macbook which has core graphics.
I tried different user accounts and the same problem happens in them all. I also tried restarting, clicking on detect displays and changing the display settings away from the high resolution and millions of colours and then put it back again.
Anyone got any other ideas?
Thanks,
Simon.

Jun 15, 2008 12:53 AM in response to Songstan

I've not been able to get iMovie to work since I put in a second video card. I get the message, " Quartz Extreme required.... one or more video cards doesn't support etc.", and then it gives me no option but to quit.

iMovie HD gives me as similar message but allows the option of continuing anyway. When I continue iMovie HD works perfectly.

It doesn't make sense. Two Mac apps doing almost identical things, but one works and the other doesn't. FCE works fine too. What am I missing? Does everyone with more than one video card find out that iMovie should have been deducted from the price of iLife'08?

Quartz Extreme required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.