Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook shuts down instead of sleeping when battery is low

Instead of going into sleep or deep sleep, my Macbook shuts down (actually crashes because of power cut) when the battery is very low. The battery life is good, so it's not that it wouldn't have time to sleep anyway.

Furthermore, I just had a complete random shutdown, although the problem appeared to be fixed by Apple repair and didnt appear for a long time now.

MacPro, Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ...Mac Plus 4MB

Posted on Apr 20, 2008 12:56 AM

7 replies

Apr 22, 2008 1:14 PM in response to Mathias Dubois

I have seen the same situation with mine. The problem is that you're so far out of calibration that the battery goes completely flat before it reaches the set graceful shut down point. Here are two things to try:

- you didn't say what you were doing with the computer when you calibrated, but as it approaches the end you should probably be doing nothing with it, so that it can approach EMPTY as slowly as possible for the calibration (this worked for me)

- if that didn't work, try this procedure to reset the power management chip http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Good Luck!

Aug 12, 2008 10:08 PM in response to David_23

I too am suffering from this problem. I have tried resetting the power management system and a variety of other fixes.

My Mac reaches the point of sleep, the screen goes black, the white light comes on then.. black.

I have had this problem with another mac but it was due to a battery at the end of its life, not a brand new one like my current mac.

Aug 18, 2008 11:20 AM in response to Mark Lohrey1

Mine does this too, and it is totally unacceptable! My ibook (4 years old) would peacefully go to sleep if the battery got too low, and then when it got power back it would wake up right where it left off - even if that was a few days later. MacBook gets low, then just shuts down - no saving of files, no remembering open apps/webpages/files, just complete shutdown! I thought I must have a messed up setting, and I'm still hoping to discover that is the case -- but the Apple Genius Bar rep said this was normal. I am still having trouble believing Apple would do that.

Macbook shuts down instead of sleeping when battery is low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.