Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APE wired to TC extending 802.11n

I am not certain I have this setup correctly and am looking for guidance here. Incase I have the common notation mixed up, I am using "TC" for Time Capsule and "APE" for Airport Express.

My setup:
WAN --> TC --> Wifi
TC --> Ethernet --> APE --> Wifi

I am fortunate to have a long wire between two locations and am trying to have ONE wireless network using Time Capsule and an Airport Express device.

The wireless network currently is on 2.4Ghz for 802.11a/n, but I have considered 5Ghz a/n as well.

On TC, I have setup the Wifi to be extendable using the network name "MyNetwork". That works and I can connect to it... although my neighbors Linksys unit has a stronger signal in my house than the TC sitting next to me.

On APE, I set it up as "Extend a Wireless Network" with a network name of "MyNetwork2" and allow-wireless-clients checked. Note the different network name used in the setup (is this right????).

When ever I have set the network name of the APE device to "MyNetwork" rather than "MyNetwork2" it completely screws up the entire Wifi system and I need to reset the APE device to make the pain stop. The current setup using the name "MyNetwork2" does not appear to be working.

Should I be using the "Participate in a WDS network" option? What am I doing wrong here?

Perhaps I am daft or really poor at searching, but it seems to be a missing article on the subject from Apple or the Mac community.

Also, has anyone had issues running a 5Ghz network?

 MBP, G4, Nano TV, TC, AP Express , Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 21, 2008 9:04 PM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2008 9:40 PM in response to Darren 2007

I did find the "Designing Airport Networks 10.5 Windows" document among Apple's manuals. Unfortunately page 47 is rather confusing as it states to choose "Create a wireless network", yet the image shows "Participate in a WDS network".

Considering I had previously followed the written instructions and set the network name and password as the same on both devices and killed my WiFi network entirely, perhaps the image is correct???

Jun 10, 2008 9:33 AM in response to Darren 2007

I have been having a similar problem with a very similar setup (the only difference is the my router is AirPort Extreme 802.11n instead of TC).

I don't have an answer for you, but I have a theory: I'm wondering if the Ethernet port on the Express cannot be used in this manner. I know that it can be used to allow a wired client (e.g.: a computer with no wireless but with Ethernet) to connect to the wireless network. In addition, it can be used as a Client (join a wireless network), which basically just provides printer sharing and AirTunes. Finally, I know it can be used to extend a wireless network by connecting wirelessly to the Base Station (WDS).

However, I have not found any doc or any posts here that indicate you can extend a wireless network by connecting Express to Extreme through Ethernet. So, I'm wondering if perhaps the configuration is not supported?

APE wired to TC extending 802.11n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.