Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ticking/Clicking from bottom left of imac

I have had my imac for about two months now, and in the past week during my morning news reading and tea, I have started to hear this ticking/clicking from he bottom right of my Imac. I move the unit on its base, and the sound stays. It sounds like a fan spinning slowly but clicking/ticking as I hear no other fan noise. I played with a fan utility to speed up the fans, and the cpu fan is right where this noise is coming from. Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have a solution?

24" Imac 2.8ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 4 gb ram

Posted on Apr 22, 2008 4:53 AM

5 replies

Jun 8, 2008 2:21 AM in response to TEK2582

Exactly the same. Ran fan utility and the noise disappears when doubling the cpu fan for a minute or so before returning to normal. However, it returns after a day or so. More recently it returns more and more quickly. The temporary cpu fan speed seems to 'unstick' a fan misalignment or something.

I have taken it back (as advised by Apple tech support staff) to a dealer twice but they have not been able to hear the noise in their workshop. On the first occasion I could not hear it when I took the iMac back. After a couple of days it returned. Second time it was still there when I bought it home. Presumably their worksop noise covers up the noise.

It is on the verge of driving me mad but I have no solution.

Jun 24, 2008 7:33 PM in response to mike hough

Ok, I've started to notice it as well. Though it seems to be one of those problems that only gets annoying when you focus your attention on it. I only noticed it briefly before deciding to investigate further. Mine seems really faint. I have to put my ear at a certain angle close towards the machine before I can hear it consistently.

The annoying thing with these kind of problems is getting the tech to acknowledge it's existence. For me it's not worth trouble. Really depends on how annoying you find the noise. (maybe your particular machine is producing a more apparent noise)

I don't think it going to lead to anything breaking it's more a matter of personal tolerance.

Ticking/Clicking from bottom left of imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.