Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linux drivers for Airport Extreme (Broadcom 4328)

Hi,

Would it be possible for Apple to release native Linux drivers for their BCM4328 based Airport Extreme please?

If not could they at least release 64-bit Windows drivers, as when one dual boots with 64bit Linux, one has to use 64bit Windows drivers for other cards based on the 4328, which don't give very good performance compared to Mac OS X Airport Extreme drivers.

Thanks!

iMac7,1 20" c2d 2.4 GHz 4GB, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 22, 2008 10:53 AM

7 replies

Apr 22, 2008 11:13 AM in response to blurg

First, OS X is not Linux, it's Unix. The required drivers are part of OS X. Second, windows drivers are included on the Leopard DVD. Third, Apple does not provide support for other operating systems. If you dual boot a variety of Linux you will need to find drivers from the developer's site. If you must use Windows you should use the 32-bit variety which is what is supported in Leopard.

Apr 22, 2008 11:59 AM in response to Kappy

I'm quite aware that OS X is not Linux. That indeed would be why I'm asking the question.

The windows drivers on the DVD are 32 bit only. I have a 64 bit computer and wish to use it to its full extent.

Apple does provide support for other operating systems: it provides the aforementioned windows drivers, hence my question.

I asked a polite question, and you have provided me with a fairly curt response.

Apr 22, 2008 12:42 PM in response to blurg

Sorry if you think they were curt as opposed to direct.

First, I don't know what you know so I can't assume when you ask about Linux whether you even know what OS X is. Most users have no idea that OS X is Unix and some LInux users don't know the difference. Second, Apple only supports the 32-bit version of Windows which is why there are only 32-bit drivers. At least currently there isn't much use for a 64-bit version of Linux or Windows which, according to some users, is actually slower than the 32-bit versions (I don't use either much so haven't tested this myself.) Third, Apple provides drivers for Windows to work under Leopard, but they do not support the operating system nor do they support Linux nor any other operating system than OS X.

Now, you may think that's curt but those are the facts. Don't snap at me if you don't like the answers - I'm just the messenger.

Apr 22, 2008 1:00 PM in response to Kappy

Okay, sorry for snapping back 🙂

Re 64-bit - it is quicker for doing some serious mathematical modelling (essentially should be quicker for any really intense computing), and also let you use more than the 3GB memory limit (approx.) of 32-bit.

I'm not asking Apple to support other OSs other than providing drivers for their proprietary hardware, more specifically for the wifi card as that is how most of us connect to our routers these days. They have provided 32 bit drivers as part of Bootcamp support for dual-booting. I was asking, seeing as Leopard (unlike previous versions) is now a 64-bit OS on 64-bit machines, and seeing as Vista now has a 64-bit flavour (indeed XP had as well I think but was a bit buggy and gave 64-bit a bad name, typical Microsoft, eh?), would Apple release 64-bit drivers (the only downside to 64-bit is making sure all your drivers come in that flavour).

As they provide them for Windows I wondered if they might provide them for Linux also.

Now maybe they will answer no to all my questions, but if I don't ask, I won't find out, and this seemed like it might be the place were Apple staff in the know could answer my questions.

Apr 22, 2008 1:10 PM in response to blurg

There are no Apple staff here. The AD are user-to-user forums.

If you need 64-bit Windows or Linux support you will need to look elsewhere. As of now Apple provides no drivers for any 64-bit Windows OS. They provide nothing for Linux, and the only *nix you will see supported by Apple is OS X.

As with video cards if you need proprietary drivers you will need to find them elsewhere. Some Airport cards use the Broadcom chipset, so if you find a 64-bit driver for that chipset you could try it. As for Linux drivers you need to consult the user support forums for the flavor you use to see if such drivers exist and how they should be installed.

Apr 22, 2008 1:27 PM in response to Kappy

Ah that has been my misunderstanding then, I thought there might be staff lurking about here.

Any idea how one gets in touch with Apple? Searching the website for an email address proved fruitless.

This isn't an urgent request - I've gotten it more or less working most of the time, and I only need Linux for some specific things so I'm in OS X for most of what I do (I bought an Apple because I was going to use it as an Apple after all, Linux is just useful for bringing work home as it were). Was just trying to see if a better solution was in the offing! Anyway, thanks for your time.

Apr 22, 2008 1:51 PM in response to blurg

I'm afraid you are out of luck. Apple does not have a mechanism for what you want. The best you can do is to file a feature request via Feedback. However, it's unlikely you will ever hear from Apple. If and when Apple decides they may provide 64-bit Windows drivers they will likely appear in a Boot Camp update or an OS X update. Apple does not pre-announce such information so it exists only after Apple publicly announces it. As for Linux I wouldn't hold your breath. Apple has no motivation whatsoever to support it as long as OS X exists. Of course that's my opinion based on a long history of experience with Apple products, but I have no direct knowledge of what Apple will or will not do tomorrow, next month, or next year.

Linux drivers for Airport Extreme (Broadcom 4328)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.