11 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2008 8:01 PM by Darren 2007
Darren 2007 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
What is the right settings to extend a wifi network?

I have a TC and an AX device that are connected by a long wire.

The TC is set to be "extendable".

What should my settings be for the AX device??

I have tried setting both devices to the same network name and password, but that just kills my wifi on both devices every time. The only way I can recover the AX at that point is a factory reset.

WDS seems more for a setup where the devices are not wire-connected.

What is the right way to do this?

 MBP, G4, Nano, ATV, TC, AX , Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • 1. Re: extending network
    Fabian Ramirez Level 1 Level 1 (100 points)
    Most likely you merely need to set your TC as the main WDS base station and your AX as WDS remotes. This should allow your to extend your network.
  • 2. Re: extending network
    Dan Jay - Minneapolis Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)
    There's actually a few variables that come into play here.....like what type of wireless are you planning on using. 2.4 Ghz, 5 GHz, Mixed......

If you could offer a little more information it may make it easier to assist you.
  • 3. Re: extending network
    I am either going to setup a 2.4 or 5 GHz network - currently I have a 2.4 due to the better range.

The setup is an 802.11a/n network.
  • 4. Re: extending network
    WDS seems to be about extending a network wirelessly and I have a wired extension.
  • 5. Re: extending network
    anyone?
  • 6. Re: extending network
    cjack2036 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I will take a stab. It seems that if you are extending the network, i'm guessing you are using a eth cable no longer than 100 feet. Is there too much interference to make a wireless connection? I'm pretty sure that in order to exten a wired connection, you will need to use DHCP on the AX in the form of an additional network. But if you use the wireless extension capability, you can use the same network properties.
  • 7. Re: extending network
    Yes, the wireless signal between the two locations is only strong enough to be detected but not used.

The deployment is a 3 story house with the TC in the basement and the AX on the top floor. Crazy, but the TC does not reach the upper floor. I do have an eth drop on each floor and that works great.

The only trouble I have is configuring the AX to seamlessly extend my TC wireless network so I have strong coverage across all three floors.

This is surprisingly difficult to configure.
  • 8. Re: extending network
    ppson Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I think you need to setup the AX to create a new wireless network using bridge mode. You will not be able to move seamlessly between the (2) wireless networks but should solve coverage to the different parts of the house.

Alternatively buy yet another AX and use as a relay station in between.
  • 9. Re: extending network
    ppson Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Actually I correct myself. Your setup should work according to instructions starting on page 40 in this PDF manual. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/DesigningAirPort_Networks10.5-Windows.pdf

If this does not work I think it is because of the issues a lot of people (including me) are having with the ethernet port of the new version AX. Hopefully this is corrected in a fix from Apple shortly.
  • 10. Re: extending network
    James A. Weston Level 5 Level 5 (5,830 points)
    If you are intending to maintain the Ethernet cable connection between the TC and the AX, then the setup should be easy. All you have to do is set up the AX in Bridge Mode and create a new wireless network. It will be a separate wireless network from the one on the TC, but all connected computers will be on the same subnet because the TC is the only device doling out LAN IP addresses.

When you move about the house with a notebook computer, you may have to manually change wireless networks, but in some cases the client notebook may do this for you automatically.

If you are meaning to eliminate the Ethernet cable connection, then you will have to use WDS and place the AX within functional wireless range of the TC.
  • 11. Re: extending network
    Yes, I can remain wired to the TC.

I had tried what you suggested before, but it was very difficult to tell if it actually worked. The SSID used on the AX was different than the TC but it would never appear on my MBP. Setting the AX and TC to use the same SSID was a REALLY bad idea and required a factory reset on the AX to undo it.

I really wish there was documentation for all these scenarios.