Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone, hard to text at first?

Hi.

I just recently visited a local apple store after researching the iPhone for quite a while now. When I got to the store I went straight to the iPhone and being a teenager went straight to the SMS application to see how I would do using a virtual keyboard. I started typing and was very disappointed on how inaccurate my words were coming out as. Every word that I typed seemed to have an error in it and I had to constantly backspace. Every letter I tried to press seemed to come out as the letter either next to it or above it. My friend saw how frustrated I was over constantly hitting the backspace and he started to question if this was the right phone for me. Now being a heavy texter, will this typing speed and accuracy improve over time and did anyone else have the same problem when first getting the phone?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 23, 2008 7:22 PM

13 replies

Apr 23, 2008 8:39 PM in response to Peter

i found after a week or 2 it is much easier. starting with index finger is much easier and still much faster than using a key pad. after about a week i started to use my thumbs and now i still have typos but its much easier and faster. a friend of mine is insanely fast but he texts more than i do and has had the phone since it was released.

it takes a little while but nothing huge, just gota get the mussel memory down

-matt

Apr 23, 2008 7:36 PM in response to Peter

Typing speed and accuracy will or should improve over time.

This link may be helpful.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gettingstarted/keyboard.html

You can return an iPhone within 14 days after the purchase date but if opened, there is a 10% restocking fee. If you will become a new at&t subscriber for the iPhone, you can cancel the contract with at&t within the first 30 days with no penalty.

Since you are a heavy texter, you should know within two weeks if this is not for you.

Apr 23, 2008 8:30 PM in response to Peter

i find it a lot easier to type with my index finger than my thumbs. i think the thumbs are just too "fat" for this keyboard. so normally i will hold the phone in my left hand, and use the index and middle fingers on my right hand (i'm right handed) to type. works well for the most part, and incorrect words get fixed with the auto-correct.

Apr 23, 2008 8:48 PM in response to deggie

texting doesn't really get easier, you still have to focus and try not to mess up because it happens very often and don't even bother trying to do it while driving...

I am a heavy texter and the plan for the phone *****, 200 texts only, unless you want to pay 10 dollars more...

Also, the spell check on the phone is absurd and i hate having to teach my phone everytime i want to spell something...

So overall no its not great or good even...IMO

If thats your main usage, as it is mine over my minutes, get a Bberry and you get free texting through bbm and obviously much easier to type

Message was edited by: ChrisB32

Apr 23, 2008 9:25 PM in response to Peter

Want to test your iPhone/iPod touch typing skills? Go to Mac611.com, tap on the "iPhone-Related Sites" tab and scroll down to "iPhone Typing Test."

User uploaded file

Have an iPhone or iPod touch? Enter Mac611.com in Safari on it for 'mobile Mac support.'

Disclaimer required by Apple Discussions Terms of Use: Mac611 may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Apr 23, 2008 10:37 PM in response to Peter

One thing you might want to consider (since you say you're a heavy texter) is that you're not going to have a lot of luck texting while you doing something else at the same time because the keys are not physical and you can't feel them. I loved my old Nokia e61i because I could type without looking at the display since my thumbs knew where the keys were. That being said, I text more on my iPhone than I ever did with any other phone and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.

Apr 24, 2008 1:30 AM in response to Peter

The keyboard was very hard to use at first but that is to be expexted since its not like any other mobile phone. You will very quickly get used to it though (within a week for me) and I send a lot ot text messages, usually long ones!! Like a few of the other posts, I can't do it using my thumbs, but find it easier just to use my index finger on my right hand.

iPhone, hard to text at first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.