Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Airport Extreme to extend FiOS wireless network?

Recently I switched to Verizon FiOS and the internet speed is really faster than cable. But Verizon FiOS comes with their own router and now I have no use of my airport extreme. I also found that the signal is weak in some rooms. So I am wondering if I can use it to extend the wireless network without using ethernet?

Can anybody give me some directions?
Thanks in advance!

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Apr 24, 2008 1:37 PM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2008 4:07 AM in response to JasonBChen

Well, first off, if you don't use/have FIOS TV then you don't need to use Verizon's router at all. I'm assuming that you had a multi-Airport network before FIOS with your cable modem attached to your main basestation? You can just use the ethernet that feeds the new FIOS router (an Adaptec probably) and unplug that from the Adaptec and plug it into the Airport basestation and you're good to go. (if you don't have ethernet coming from the FIOS network interface - where FIOS comes into your house - you may need to run CAT5 from that to your Airport, or just move the Airport so that it's close to the network interface).

You could also just ethernet from the WAN port on the Adaptec to your basestation, and then turn off the wireless component of the Adaptec (see the manual that came with it, or do a web search for instructions).

Unfortunately though, if you're using FIOS TV, then you DO need their router working wirelessly. But still, there may be a way to just run 2 wireless networks in your home - the Adaptec for TV and your Apple network for Internet.

Message was edited by: jsun

Using Airport Extreme to extend FiOS wireless network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.