5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2008 9:39 AM by Paulza
Paulza Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I have a 160 gig iPod classic. A few weeks ago it stopped syncing more than 100 tracks--some iTunes purchased music, some imported mp3s, and some AAC and Lossless imported by iTunes. Tonight I tried my wife's Nano and the same thing happens, although with a few different tracks.

Because it's happening on two, I'm guessing it's iTunes, not my iPod. What can I do to fix this in iTunes without having to rebuild all of the many playlists I've developed over the past five years?

Thanks!

iMac 20" G5, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • yoplait Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)
    You might need to authorize your computer for these tracks (Advanced->Authorize)
  • Paulza Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Good idea. Unfortunately, even after unauthorizing and re-authorizing it, they still don't work. And 99 percent of my purchased tracks do work, so I don't think it's that. Thanks, tho.
  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (55,285 points)
    Have you accidentally or otherwise moved or deleted some of your files? It may be many more than 100 tracks - iTunes just stops counting at that point. Try identifing one of the problem songs and then searching your computer for it. If you've deleted them or at any rate cannot locate them then syncing should have left any exisiting copies on the iPod which you might be able to recover using techniques in this post from Zevoneer:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6273675&#6273675

    tt2
  • Paulza Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Nope, all of the files are there. Here's my latest test: I took some of the files that were supposedly "not compatible", put them on my MacBook Pro, then restored my iPod to that machine. And voila, all of the files synced. So it must be my iTunes library. Now I've gotta figure out how to rebuild it without losing playlists.
  • Paulza Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    This weekend I took the big leap and recreated my music library. Nice to know, it didn't delete any of the playlists, which was my worry, and now everything is syncing nicely.

    The instructions to do it were here:

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

    I did have to rebuild my Podcasts library afterward, too, following the instructions linked to at the bottom of that page.

    Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!