Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ScreenSaver prevents me from logging in, never get login prompt

My Mac Pro, Leopard 10.5.2 installed wouldn't let me login today. It was in screensaver mode, and wouldn't come out of it,

When I hit a key or moved the mouse to get the login prompt, the screensaver paused as if the login prompt was going to appear, but then the screensaver kicked back in.

I could SSH into the machine and run commands, but killing ScreenSave or Finder or anything else I could think of wouldn't fix the problem.

Finally I just had to issue the rude "reboot" command.

Any ideas what happened here, or more importantly how I might avoid having to reboot to get back in in the future?

Mac Pro 4gb, dual 23" Cinema Display, Mac OS X (10.5.2), MacBook Pro 15" 60gb Video iPod 8gb iPhone

Posted on Apr 25, 2008 5:25 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2008 11:30 PM in response to DSA1

This seems to be related to the preference pane for accounts, which will no longer let me make modifications as an adminstrator to any other accounts or login information. The little lock to authenticate just says "authenticating...." then goes back to being locked.

Probably should post a new topic, but any ideas?

Apr 28, 2008 9:47 AM in response to V.K.

Yes, happened on all user accounts.

sudo kill and sudo killall and the appropriate pid or name.

totally moot point for me now. I archived and installed the system yesterday. Quick and painless and all is well. Should have just done that in the first place I guess; would have saved a lot of time.

ScreenSaver prevents me from logging in, never get login prompt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.