📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook will not recognize ethernet cable

I was on internet yesterday until about 6:00 pm. I closed the lid on my MacBook and set it aside but left the ethernet cable plugged in... something I don't usually do. This morning. I woke it up and now it won't connect to the internet. In Sys Pref - Network I turned off the Airport so that it would not look there. (I usually use it on Airport at work but on Ethernet at home.) It continues to show the ethernet cable as being unplugged and the router light will not light up when the cable is in the MacBook. I suspected the cable but I've tried four different ones and different router ports to no avail. My old desktop Mac is connecting just fine and the router lights up when I move that cable to different ports so I don't think the router or the cable is the problem. This MacBook is about 1.5 years old. Any suggestions? I really don't want to send it in for repair. It belongs to my school district and if I send it in I probably won't get it back for about 6 weeks at which time, I'm planning to retire and will have to give it up anyway.

Thanks....

MacBook

Posted on Apr 27, 2008 7:26 AM

15 replies

Apr 27, 2008 7:51 AM in response to techinstructor07

I don't know if there is a connection, but this MacBook was recently upgraded to OS 10.5.2. Following that I had a problem w/ downloading files in Firefox and it was suggested that I trash a file in user/Library/Preferenced/com.apple.internetconfig.plist

I did this yesterday and all was working fine until this morning. However, since I had not restarted (it had only gone to sleep) I'm not sure that this could have had any effect.

Thanks again...

Apr 27, 2008 11:20 AM in response to techinstructor07

For what it's worth, I have two MacBooks - one for me and one for my wife. Both have been trouble free, and the iBook predecessor was nearly as good. Both of the MacBooks are far more reliable for me than the HP laptop & Windows that my employer forces me to use. In my objective experience, the Macs are improving and better than the Windows competition. That said, nothing made by the hand of man is perfect, but before you make the leap to Windows, check carefully into the on-going issues with Vista.

Best wishes!

Jun 27, 2008 12:19 PM in response to I don't know what does it mean

I've got the same problem. I was connected to ethernet, closed the lid and now all I get is an orange and red light in network preferences. It will light up orange "no ip address" then flash for a second to red then back to orange. I've restarted the laptop and the router and it still does not work.

I know the cable and router are ok because an old powerbook g4 connects fine with it.

Jul 28, 2008 7:31 PM in response to Hawkster

I've also had this trouble for two days... Strange part is that the ethernet connection at my office works fine, but not at home. I thought it was a defective cable or switch. The other computers on my home network worked fine and I tried the afore mentioned cable swap, port swap out the router and switch, Reset PRAM, went to church on Sunday, made my bed, etc... Nothing worked.

I ended up restarting with the Ethernet cable plugged in > In system preferences I setup a manual connection instead of DHCP. It didn't take at first, but when I ran the "assist me" option, I selected the Built-In Ethernet, went through the process, and it seemed to work. So far, so good...

One interesting note, I have Parallels installed and the Parallels program was able to see the Internet even though the Mac side was not (said the cable was unplugged on the mac side). I have about 15 MacPro's running on my office network and a couple more at home. This has only happened on my MBP 17" (2.16)... Running SonicWall TZ170 on both networks. Weird stuff. This solution got me up and running again. Hope this helps.

Aug 29, 2008 1:00 PM in response to techinstructor07

I've been having a similar problem - after using wireless at home, I plug in the ethernet cable at work, but it never shows up as being connected in the network preferences. 'Assist me...' didn't help in this case. But I remembered an old trick that I used to use either on linux and on Windows command-line:

(cable is unplugged - don't know if that's req'd, but I don't think so)
sudo ifconfig en0 down
sudo ifconfig en0 up

I plugged in the cable and bingo - connected.

MacBook will not recognize ethernet cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.