Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebuilding of crashed system

Went through the support files and did a bit of searching.
I have all of the music files and I have the original .xml and other iTunes files.

If I go with just a standard "import music files", I can't see my old ratings or any old info, just new files.

If I go with the "recreating" option: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451 I don't see the files. (move the XML to the desktop and delete the other file)

How can I rebuild iTunes and not lose the files and not lose the rating/library info I had?

With the crash of the old system I can't put the files in the old location but I can create a new location for them if needed. But about 25GB of files I don't want to copy them to a system drive, I'd prefer a network drive option (I have a Mapped Drive "M" with all the files located there now.

Appreciate the assistance.

PC, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Apr 29, 2008 4:01 PM

4 replies

Aug 19, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Community User

Katrina.

I checked the link, and it mentions the .itl file, but not what to do with it.

I've rebuilt iTunes and I can play all of my music.

I tried and removed the new ITL and replaced with the old ITL that has my ratings, etc BUT it now can't find the directories (I'm guessing the file name / path is stored in the .itl and it's looking for the old address)

Is there a way to import or rebuild the new ILT with the old ratings?

Appreciate any help.

Rebuilding of crashed system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.