Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

batch convert WMV to quicktime

Hey all,

I would like to batch convert 30 movies in WMV format to quicktime (or MP4).
I can play the movies fine in quicktime (i've got flip4mac).

Could some kind sould help me get started in writing an automator action, or an applescript, or a bash script to get this done?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Gabriel.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 1, 2008 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2008 4:43 PM

In Automator...

Step 1: Files & Folders > Get Selected Items
Step 2: Moves > Export Movies

Save as an application. Select your 30 files in the Finder and drag them to your new Automator app.

This will give you m4v files. Not a lot of options, but will batch convert using QuickTime and the flip4mac plugin.
9 replies

May 2, 2008 1:10 PM in response to Andrew Lamont

Thanks a million for your response.

Unfortunately, in my case, your solution doesn't seem to help.
The probem is, that the iPod or Apple TV formats blow up the file size by a factor of 4 (at least) compared to the original file size.
That defeats the purpose of the whole exercise ...

I had hoped, there was an automator action that would just export to the last used format and codec options.

Otherwise, it would have been a beautiful solution 😉

Best regards,
Gabriel.

Jul 2, 2008 6:28 PM in response to GabrielZ

I was commenting on the need to control the conversion so that you can avoid the file size expanding too large...however, I see that the batch converter says it will simply use the settings that were last used in Quicktime. Since you already have Flip4Mac, I'd say, convert one, the way you want, and then try a few with the batch converter.

batch convert WMV to quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.