Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X v10.5: Can I delete a partition without erasing the entire drive?

Can I delete an empty partition on an external drive and expect to keep the data on the other one if I am using Leopard?

MacBook Pro C2D, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Dual 2GHZ Power Mac G5, Mac Mini, iBook G3

Posted on May 2, 2008 5:08 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2008 6:03 PM in response to apdv1

yes. Open disk utility, select your external drive and click on the partition tab.
select the partition you want to erase and click on the - sign. The partition will disappear and there will be a big chunk of free space where it used to be.
you can add that free space to the partition immediately above the erased one by dragging its lower right corner down to cover the empty space. If the partition you erased was the upper most one, your can not reclaim the erased space short of reformatting the whole drive (and thus erasing all the data on it).

Mac OS X v10.5: Can I delete a partition without erasing the entire drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.