Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proper Setup for Still Project?

Hi,

I'm working with a large number of hi-res JPEGs from a Canon DSLR (30D) that I'm using to create a time-lapse video in FCP for web delivery. However, no matter what combination of still resolution (I've been batch scaling the files down proportionally in Aperture...tried original size, then half, then 1/4 of original size) or Easy Setup/Sequence Setting I try I have to render forever before I can play the timeline back.

Any suggestions? Currently I'm using a Sequence Setting with the JPEG compressor, a 29.97 frame rate and a resolution that exactly matches the resized stills. The results look real good, but again, the render times are just slowing my work down to a crawl. For example, if I want to see how the sequence looks at a different speed, it's 20 minutes of render or more...

I suppose the large number of files is part of the problem, but I'm just not sure exactly what's being rendered...video is usually my domain, where if the sequence setup matches the captured media (say, for example, DVCPRO HD) then I don't have to render anything but effects and transitions--I can watch in real time right after I import the stuff. No such luck with stills converted to video, I presume?

Thanks,
David

Message was edited by: frmrt

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 6, 2008 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2008 1:49 PM

Stills are not video and must be rendered to play back in real time.

As you have discovered, when the image size is the same as video native, you reduce some of the overhead processing. The computer simply has to convert the file to video instead of RESCALE the image first then convert it to video.

If you will be doing a lot of this, you may find using QT Pro a more efficient way to convert the images to video. Once converted, simply import the video file into FCP.

Good luck,

x
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2008 1:49 PM in response to frmrt

Stills are not video and must be rendered to play back in real time.

As you have discovered, when the image size is the same as video native, you reduce some of the overhead processing. The computer simply has to convert the file to video instead of RESCALE the image first then convert it to video.

If you will be doing a lot of this, you may find using QT Pro a more efficient way to convert the images to video. Once converted, simply import the video file into FCP.

Good luck,

x

Proper Setup for Still Project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.