Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address Book search function doesn't work

In Address Book I typed in the name of a friend, Rosa, into the search function. The result I was looking for didn't appear in the returned results. Under Group, All is selected. And her card is there when I scroll through all of my entries.

Any idea how I can get the search function to return all relevant results?

iMac, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iPhone

Posted on May 8, 2008 6:15 AM

13 replies

May 9, 2008 11:40 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Hi The Zack,

In case you think you are crazy, I can confirm that in this area you are not. I just switched from years of PC drudgery to the the new Mac religion. I even switched all my email/address/calendar stuff to pure Apple. Some bumps and hiccups, but still I guess the real test is when I log back onto my old PC I feel like I am watching a rerun of a black and white sitcom.

I digress. On of my hiccups is exactly the same as yours. Address Book is always able to search. It seems a good number of the names in my address book can not be found by typing in any part of their information in the search box. I could not fix this by duplicating the address entry, but I could get it work by hand typing in a new duplicate address entry. I am hoping you and Barry discover a cleaner solution to this.

Thx, Kmon23

May 10, 2008 11:33 PM in response to The Zach

Found a half-assed workaround if this only affects a few entries... Making any edit to the contact willl fix the search function for that contact. You don't even have to enter edit mode - just click in the notes field and type a space and a backspace and that will fix that person's contact. However I have over 200 contacts in my address book and this is not a practical option. Plus I'm concerned about what caused this issue and when it might occur again.

If someone talks to Apple support, please share their feedback here...

Address Book search function doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.