Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Airport Express as wired access point with Airport Extreme

Recently switched to n-network with Apple hardware (have 3 macs + 2 Pc's on network). Typically all computers have been wired to router (have several switches in network also).
Have Airport Extreme as router attached to DSL modem - unfortunately at one end of a long house. Wireless coverage at other end of the house (where I now want it) is "spotty" at best. I have ethernet running to this area but a want a better wireless signal.
Can I attach the Airport Express to ethernet (which is attached to the router) and use it as an access point or bridge (not sure of correct term) so I can connect wirelessly to the network with my laptop, etc. In other words the Airport Express will receive the wireless signal and then connect to the Airport Extreme by ethernet (NOT wirelessly).
First of all, can I do this? Secondly, how do I set it up? Apple had one FAQ that I think said it would work this way but it wasn't clear regarding how to set it up. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 8, 2008 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2008 10:11 PM

Hello xbuckeye. Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

Can I attach the Airport Express to ethernet (which is attached to the router) and use it as an access point or bridge (not sure of correct term) so I can connect wirelessly to the network with my laptop, etc. In other words the Airport Express will receive the wireless signal and then connect to the Airport Extreme by ethernet (NOT wirelessly).

Yes, you can connect the AirPort Express Base Station (AX) to the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn) using an Ethernet cable, and then, reconfigure the AX as a bridge to allow the AEBSn to continue to provide both NAT & DHCP services for the entire network.

To set up the AirPort Express Base Station (AX) as a "bridge," using the AirPort Utility, either connect to the AX's wireless network or temporarily connect your computer directly (using an Ethernet cable) to the Ethernet port of the AX, and then, try these settings:

AirPort > Wireless tab
o Wireless Mode: Create a wireless network
o Network Name: <leave the default>
o Radio Mode: 802.11b/g compatible
o Channel: Automatic

Internet > Internet Connection
o Connect Using: Ethernet
o Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
o Ethernet WAN Port: Automatic (Default)
o Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2008 10:11 PM in response to xbuckeye

Hello xbuckeye. Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

Yes, you can connect the AirPort Express Base Station (AX) to the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn) using an Ethernet cable, and then, reconfigure the AX as a bridge to allow the AEBSn to continue to provide both NAT & DHCP services for the entire network.

To set up the AirPort Express Base Station (AX) as a "bridge," using the AirPort Utility, either connect to the AX's wireless network or temporarily connect your computer directly (using an Ethernet cable) to the Ethernet port of the AX, and then, try these settings:

AirPort > Wireless tab
o Wireless Mode: Create a wireless network
o Network Name: <leave the default>
o Radio Mode: 802.11b/g compatible
o Channel: Automatic

Internet > Internet Connection
o Connect Using: Ethernet
o Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
o Ethernet WAN Port: Automatic (Default)
o Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

Can I use Airport Express as wired access point with Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.