Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 6.0.3 & XDCAM EX-1 - How are xdcam MPEG4 clips processed by FCP

Greetings,

I've been using XDCam Ex-1 clips in FCP for a while now.The FCP Sony XDCam import option is seamless, however now I need to send clients the QT .mov files of the clips for them to use on their systems - both FCP and Avid. I thought these were standard QT files but after importing they can see them in the viewer but when edited to time line its just black. I've had other problems with clients saying the QT files look 'jagged'. I've searched for a concise explanation of how FCP handles the BVAP files from the SXS cards but can't seem to find. Pls can someone explain what happens and what the limitations are or further exporting to enable the QT files to be user friendly. I need to know how does FCP unwrap the MPEG4 to make QT files. Are these standard QT that can can be viewed on any system or only Mac.? Current .mov files give the format as Apple XDCAM EX - does this mean without this codec others cannot import. If so, how can I send them the correct codec/version>?

Very confused at this stage.

Thanks

Belinda

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 9, 2008 5:08 AM

12 replies

May 9, 2008 6:15 AM in response to Lebinda

The Apple XDCAM Codecs are only installed and licensed with Final Cut Pro. So in short, any .mov files with the latest Apple XDCAM HD or EX codecs can only be played back on a Mac with Final Cut Pro 6 installed.

You could export using the Sony XDCAM option and send them the .MXF file. They could then play that file back using a Sony Playback tool on their PCs.

May 9, 2008 6:31 AM in response to Michael Trauffer

Thanks, but the problem now is I have a Client is operating 6.0.3 on Tiger and he still can't play the .mov files. Does it mean that Tiger does not support the Apple XDCam HD or EX Codecs. Even opening the files in QT to view is crashing his system. Does he have to upgrade to Leopard or can he just download the codec?
Many thanks
Belinda

May 9, 2008 7:54 AM in response to Randy Holder

Hi, He has FCP 6 operating on 10.4.11 and current QT 7 .4.5. He wants to pull .mov clips into FCP to edit with. I had the same problem with another client - also on Mac and they couldn't read the .mov files either. Also Mac based system but using AVID. Their comment was that its the XDCAM codec which prevents it even being played back on QT and that I needed to provide standard QT files??? This would mean exporting every single clip as a QT movie (so that the format doesn't read Apple XDCAM).

I have hundreds of clips so this could take forever.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Belinda

May 12, 2008 12:22 AM in response to Robin Remde

Thanks Robin - I may just have to do a batch export, but was hoping to avoid it. It seems the QT files created by the XDCam Transfer Tool are uniquely formated as XDCam EX and can then only be used by similar systems e.g. FCP 6.0.2. I would have hoped the QT files would be more universally user friendly. Still seeking answers though

Cheers

FCP 6.0.3 & XDCAM EX-1 - How are xdcam MPEG4 clips processed by FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.