Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer photos from an old mac

Hi! I made a mistake and damaged my new iphoto library. I could, however, recover pictures, albums and keywords by importing the library from my previous mac, that runs on 10.4 and has iphoto 7 installed, just as it happened when I originally migrated from that Mac to my current one... I just don´t know how to do that. Could anybody help, please?

Thank you

MACBOOK PRO 15¨, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 9, 2008 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2008 7:43 AM

Tif

Put the new one on the desktop put of the way. Then copy the old one from the old machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine. Then launch iPhoto. It will update the library.

Once you're sure the upgraded library is working you can trash the one on the desktop.

Regards

TD
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2008 7:43 AM in response to Tif

Tif

Put the new one on the desktop put of the way. Then copy the old one from the old machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine. Then launch iPhoto. It will update the library.

Once you're sure the upgraded library is working you can trash the one on the desktop.

Regards

TD

May 9, 2008 2:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

I am sorry, I guess it was a stupid question. What I meant to ask was how I have to do to copy the library since the system is different. Shall I copy the whole folder with all the folders inside? (the way the old system worked).

Originally, I just automatically migrated from my old mac with 10.4 to my new (no information inside) mac, with the 10.5 system installed and it did it automatically.

My fear (my ignorance would be a better way to put it) is that since the system is different and the new iphoto is no longer a big folder with the smaller folders inside, the information will not pass completly (including names, folders, albmus, etc)

Thanks for your time and patience

May 10, 2008 1:13 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you. Done and solved. I would like to ask you another question, though. Where does Iphoto keep the originals now? I see a menu that reads "revert to original", but is there any way that I can see the original photo without having to "revert" to it, but rather see them both? You could before...

May 10, 2008 1:16 PM in response to Tif

The originals are kept in the iPhoto library - you should not muck in it - any changed there can corrupt your library and cause lost data - to compare the current version to the original go into edit mode and when you depress the shift key the original will be visible - when you release it the current version will be visible - and typing command (apple) Z will go back one edit at a time

LN

May 10, 2008 1:19 PM in response to Tif

Tif

Same as before, in the iPhoto Library Folder /Originals. However With iPhoto 7 (iLife 08) the old iPhoto Library Folder is now a Unix Style Package File. The change was made to the format of the iPhoto library because many users were inadvertently corrupting their library by browsing through it with other software or making changes in it themselves.

There is never a need for a user to enter the iPhoto Library Folder. Everything you need to do can be done in the iPhoto Window.

If you want to see a pic before/after an edit: tap the shift key.
Regards

TD

May 10, 2008 1:31 PM in response to LarryHN

Yes, that´s actually what I thought I should do from now on. The question is how to recover the ones I had already worked on. In previous versions of iphoto, you could just go to the original folder, so I am guessing that´s where the old ones are. But how can I access them?

Transfer photos from an old mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.