Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music DVD vs. DVD-A vs. SACD

Hello all ~

Back once again with hopefully a tough question that someone can answer.

I found that there are at least three types (formats) of DVDs that have music only and they are "Music DVD", "DVD-Audio" (or "DVD-A"), and "SACD". I discovered that Toast Titanium 8 can create Music DVD's (which are really just like standard DVD's, but they have only music, according to the Toast documentation), but NOT DVD-A's or SACD's.

Well, this doesn't say if I can PLAY DVD-A's or SACD's, and doing searches here, it doesn't appear that the topic has come up. I do know that people have to buy "special" DVD players to play DVD-A and SACD disks.

But I'm at a loss here, can my MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz play DVD-A's or SACD's? If not, can newer models play them? If not, why???

Thanks much all!

Chaz

MacBook Pro - Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.2), et al

Posted on May 9, 2008 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2008 7:43 PM

No, your MacBook Pro cannot play the DVD-A or SACD format. Neither can the new models because Apple has not yet decided to license or support the technology into any of their Macs. Nobody can know why Apple will not include newer formats, such as Blue Ray, so speculation is a moot point.
3 replies

Music DVD vs. DVD-A vs. SACD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.