Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Region Drives

Hi,

I recently changed my region code to 1 to watch a DVD, and on attempting to change it back to region Code 2 this evening I get an error pop up that says:

There was a problem changing the drive region code.

Error: -70001

I have one change left so don't know why it won't let me change back to region 2.

Help !!

Posted on Nov 7, 2005 1:52 PM

3 replies

Nov 8, 2005 7:59 PM in response to John McEntee

If you are stuck with a Mac that comes with a Matshita drive and are a user that travels between regions or has mutli-region discs it is always recommended to just add an external DVD drive to your system. Keep the internal set to one region and the external set to another.

If you are lucky to have a Tower or Mac with an easy access chassis you can simply replace your DVD drive with a better unit as new ones are quite inexpensive from your local PC shop.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, the next DVD standard has a lot of manufacturers dropping region lockouts. The insanity will be over soon, but we have to deal with it in the meantime.

If you have an older Matshita or most modern drives you can get RPC1 firmware to put on the drive (RPC2 is the version that is causing all the grief such as you are experiencing with your unit).

For the later option, visit this website and type in a name or model number of your drive as reported in System Profiler.

I have, unfortunately, and internal Matshita which is left at Region 1 USA and I have an external Nec 3520a I put in a firewire box that is firmware RPC1 region free because I need 3 region support to go between USA (1), UK (2), Denmark/Norway/Sweden (2), Australia (4) and New Zealand (4). I think the tard who thought this up should be shot.

Jan J.

Changing Region Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.