Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SquirrelMail on iPhone?

Aloha! I am about to enter college next year, and have been toying around recently with my new college e-mail address. I'm still ignorant when it comes to phrases such as IMAP, POP3, and the like, so please bear with me. Though it's not of dire importance, I would love to be able to check my college e-mail on my iPhone. All I really know about it is that the college uses something called SquirrelMail for its webmail. I think I know everything for incoming mail server, my account name, password, e-mail address, etc, but I don't know what the Outgoing Mail Server is. If anyone could help me out if they know, or if you know how I could go about finding the outgoing server (without having to e-mail support), I would be very thankful. Thank you for the time.

HP Pavilion, Windows XP

Posted on May 10, 2008 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2008 8:30 PM

SquirrelMail is actually a php-based mail server, supporting IMAP and SMTP protocols. It is commonly used to support access to what is termed 'webmail'—access to your electronic mail using a web browser. It's not client software: rather, it is server software.

If your college has implemented SquirrelMail, you will be able to access your electronic mail account on that campus using the Safari web browser on your iPhone. But, it wouldn't be my first choice for such access.

Instead, you should determine whether you campus supports conventional IMAP access and determine what the IMAP (receive) and SMTP (send) settings are, then use the mail client on your iPhone to access your account.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2008 8:30 PM in response to De Petagma Saru

SquirrelMail is actually a php-based mail server, supporting IMAP and SMTP protocols. It is commonly used to support access to what is termed 'webmail'—access to your electronic mail using a web browser. It's not client software: rather, it is server software.

If your college has implemented SquirrelMail, you will be able to access your electronic mail account on that campus using the Safari web browser on your iPhone. But, it wouldn't be my first choice for such access.

Instead, you should determine whether you campus supports conventional IMAP access and determine what the IMAP (receive) and SMTP (send) settings are, then use the mail client on your iPhone to access your account.

May 10, 2008 8:37 PM in response to De Petagma Saru

I copied the following from SquirrelMail's website. They use Outlook when referring to an email client, but the same applies to the iPhone's Mail client.

+The best people to ask for the IMAP server settings your Outlook client needs, are those with whom you are getting your mail services from. If you're not quite sure, try hunting around the website you signed up on for support pages, or if you are at a college, or university, speak to a teacher. There's no point in contacting the SquirrelMail project team - the don't know the which settings you need.+

Based on this, your college has their own incoming and outgoing mail server settings for accessing your email account with an email client such as with the iPhone's Mail client. Unless you provide the name of your college, and someone here happens to attend the same college, or is familiar with accessing an email account provided by your college with an email client, you won't get the answer here.

It sounds like the account will be an IMAP account, which is good since you can access the account with an email client on your computer also keeping all server stored mailboxes for the account synchronized between the email client used on your computer - if you decide to do so, and with the iPhone's Mail client. The same applies when accessing SquirrelMail on your computer.

Where did you get the incoming mail server settings from? You should be able to get the outgoing mail server settings from the same location.

May 10, 2008 8:49 PM in response to De Petagma Saru

You need to check with your College. If they provide for account forwarding to another email address, then yes.

And your College may support accessing your SquirrelMail account as an IMAP account with an email client on your computer or with your iPhone.

Where did you get the incoming mail server settings from for your SquirrelMail account that you referenced earlier?

SquirrelMail on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.