Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SONY RDR-HXD710 - copy HDD for backup?

My SONY RDR-HXD710 DVD Recorder will not read or write to DVD disks.
My next task is to copy the existing titles of 87 GB from the 160 GB HDD, before taking it in for repair.
I cannot find in the manual any info on how exactly to do this - I want to connect to a computer or to an external disk drive.
What output sockets and what leads would be suitable?
I have G4 Apple iMac 10.2.8 and G4 iBook [no DVD writer - just Combidrives] and one LaCie drive, all with Firewire and USB connections.
The SONY manual only seems to describe dubbing from HDD to a blank DVD and each DVD holds only 4.7 GB.
That means a lot of blank DVDs.
Any ideas on how to copy from HDD to an external drive such as the LaCie?
Presumably going via Mac.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on May 11, 2008 7:49 AM

6 replies

May 11, 2008 11:31 AM in response to david jones24

How to Clone Using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
2. Select the backup or destination volume from the left side list.
3. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (journaled, if available) and click on the Erase button. This step can be skipped if the destination has already been freshly erased.
4. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
5. Select the backup or destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
6. Select the startup or source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Be sure to boot from the clone to be sure it works. Open Startup Disk preferences, select the clone system from the icon list, click on the Restart button.

May 22, 2008 3:21 PM in response to david jones24

There is no hard disk in a DVD recorder. There is a CD or a DVD disc, but not a hard disk. You asked how to backup a HDD - hard disk drive.

I don't see a reason to backup a DVD disc, so you need to make your request more specific. What are you backing up and to what medium?

This was your request: Any ideas on how to copy from HDD to an external drive such as the LaCie?

So, tell me exactly what you want to do.

May 22, 2008 6:13 PM in response to david jones24

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RDR-HXD710-Recorder-160GB-FREEVIEW/dp/B000BV7ETI

Hi, David. I don't know whether or not the hard drive in your recorder uses a standard hard drive format, or whether the device provides any interface that would allow a computer to "see" the hard drive inside it. If you can't get any help from Sony, which is generally clueless about and not interested in Macs, then I suggest taking the cover off the RDR-HXD710 and seeing how accessible the hard drive appears to be. If it's easy to get at, you could consider 1) removing the drive from the unit, 2) mounting it in an external hard drive enclosure or connecting it to a Mac with an adapter similar to this, and 3) copying the files from it to your Mac's hard drive or another external drive, or making a disk image of it using Disk Utility. Whether this will work depends, of course, on the drive being in a format the Mac can read.

May 25, 2008 11:48 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, when you write " There is no hard disk in a DVD recorder " it makes me think we may have a terminology difference.
The user manual for the SONY RDR-HXD710 states:
page 3 "Precautions. About the hard disk drive, etc"
page 10 "Hard disk drive (internal) Icon used in this manual HDD "
page 31 "Recording a Programme. ... record the current TV programme to the hard disk (HDD) or to a disc (DVD)."
page 111 "Specifications Hard disk drive capacity 160 GB."

This large capacity drive is the one normally used to capture and keep TV programmes,

So you can see why a back up is advisable.
The problem is I cannot work out how to do it.

I have made the question as clear as I can.
Maybe there is just no practicable answer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.