Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to burn m2v and ac3 files to DVD

I recently compressed an exported final cut movie into DVD files - an ac3 audio file and an m2v video file.

I used Toast to burn them to a DVD but it did not finish correctly. I can hear the audio, but there is no video on the disc...just some graphic.

What is the best app to use to burn these files to a DVD? DVD Studio Pro? I don't need a menu, all I need is for the disc to play when it's inserted. I find that DVDSP is somewhat complex for burning a simple DVD.

I am going to try doing everything in Toast this time, but I've read that Toast is slow when it comes to encoding. Compressor was able to encode my 1hr 40min video in under 30 minutes....

G5 Quad, Mac OS X (10.5.1), FCS 2

Posted on May 11, 2008 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2008 9:00 PM

You've done the encoding, but skipped the authoring step. I'd recommend using DVD-SP for authoring. Import the .m2v video and the AC3 audio into DVD-SP. Place both on the track. If you don't want a menu, just delete it from the organizational list. Set the disc's first play for Track One->Track.

DVD-SP will compile the files (muxing and formatting as VOB files) and will do the burning as well.

-DH
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2008 9:00 PM in response to The Motherwell

You've done the encoding, but skipped the authoring step. I'd recommend using DVD-SP for authoring. Import the .m2v video and the AC3 audio into DVD-SP. Place both on the track. If you don't want a menu, just delete it from the organizational list. Set the disc's first play for Track One->Track.

DVD-SP will compile the files (muxing and formatting as VOB files) and will do the burning as well.

-DH

May 12, 2008 6:16 AM in response to The Motherwell

My guess is that you added the .ac3 file directly to Toast and ended up with a Toast music DVD. The setting to use in Toast is DVD video in the Video window. Add only the .m2v file. Toast automatically adds the matching .ac3 file if it has the same name except for the extension and is in the same folder. If Toast can't find the audio it asks you to locate it.

You can choose Save as Disc Image and then mount the disc image for preview in DVD Player. If all is good burn the disc image to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Best way to burn m2v and ac3 files to DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.