Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail on iphone not showing up in outlook

For some reason just recently I am receiving mail on my iphone, but it doesn't show up on my desktop which uses Outlook. I have had the Iphone for a couple of months and this has just started. I use gmail and I have the Incoming Settings set to never delete from server, but about 2 or 3 times a day I receive an email on my Iphone, but it never shows up on my desktop.

also I get this message quite often when I try to open an email;
This message has not been downloaded from the server.

any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Iphone, Windows XP

Posted on May 12, 2008 3:38 PM

8 replies

May 12, 2008 5:32 PM in response to Ron F

If you have Never selected for removing messages from the server when downloaded for the account preferences, this indicates you are accessing the account as a POP account.

Are you also accessing the account as a POP account with Outlook?

If so, do you have Never selected for removing messages from the server when downloaded for the account preferences with Outlook?

It is now possible to access a Gmail account as a POP or IMAP account with an email client. This doesn't resolve this particular problem, but when accessing the same account with an email client on multiple computers or devices, it is preferable to access the account as an IMAP account. All server stored mailboxes for an IMAP account are kept synchronized with the server automatically with all email clients used to access the account. You can also store sent messages on the server with both email clients used to access the account so all sent messages with both email clients will be identical.

This will also eliminate the "message has not been downloaded from the server" problem, which can occur with a POP account when more than one email client is accessing the incoming mail server at the same time.

Jun 7, 2008 12:11 AM in response to Allan Sampson

If this is of any use, I have also just started observing the same behavior with my .Mac account mail and my iPhone.

If I check my mail on my iPhone before I do so on my laptop -- in this case, the laptop was off -- the message I open does not show up in Mail on my laptop. I'm not sure this always happens but I've had it happen at least twice lately. I also often leave my laptop running so sometimes the laptop could have downloaded the .Mac mail the other times which could make the difference.

It's probably worth noting that this did show up after I had to replace my iPhone and I configured my .Mac mail account via the iPhone, not iTunes.

Suggestions?

Jun 7, 2008 8:24 AM in response to Nathan C

Nathan,

I'm definitely using IMAP -- that's all I use so my mail is accessible no matter where I am. Also, all my other messages are on both computers and if the iPhone were set to POP some how, they would not have downloaded to the second machine, I'm pretty sure (unless I had told the iPhone somehow to keep the messages on the server which, as far as I can, see is not an option -- at least as currently configured).

The last time this happened I could not find the missing message anywhere on my laptop. This time I actually did find the message in my Trash on my laptop even though it was still in Inbox on my iPhone.

I don't know how often this is happening but I happened to catch it last night because last night I was traveling and some mail collected while I was on the road. My laptop was off and as soon as we arrived I took the dogs for a walk. While walking, I checked my mail on my iPhone and saw a message that needed a detailed reply. As soon as I got back home, I booted my laptop and the first thing I did was go looking for this message and I couldn't find it. If I hadn't been looking for it, would I have noticed it was missing? Maybe not, if I had already replied via the iPhone.

BTW, the unread messages before and after the message were retrieved by my laptop, just not the one I read.

Thoughts?
Chip

mail on iphone not showing up in outlook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.