Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Items reverts to old list

Since my archive and install of Leopard on my MacBook Pro and upgrade to 10.5.2, i cannot seem to change my Login Items. I have 4 items in my Login Items (System Preferences > Account > Login Items) that i cannot seem to remove. I've used the [-] and they go away. I can close System Preferences and they stay gone. Then a little while later i will check back with System Preferences and they will be back. Also anything new i add to the list is gone.

Any ideas?

I've used the Disk Utility > Reset Permissions and that didn't seem to fix it. I thought there used to be a terminal way to fix and/or reset file permissions, but i cannot seem to find a way to do this. It was a long process, usually took a few hours.

MacBook Pro 2.0, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 12, 2008 7:53 PM

6 replies

May 27, 2008 12:52 PM in response to Scott Rose

Did you happen to test out Mac Pilot recently? I think my problem might be from this application. I'm going to test it out, but it allows you to tweak your Login Items and if the trial "runs out" and you don't buy the software, it may be stopping the OS from modifying the list of Login Items. I've just dleted both my Mac Pilot files (userfolder > Library > Preferences and do a search in there for "pilot". You'll probably see 2 files. One is a plist and one is an xml. i just deleted both and restarted MacPilot and it started me fresh on my license so i will test to see if this solves the issue.

May 27, 2008 6:07 PM in response to V.K.

That seems to have done it. I had to close all applications, System Preferences dialogs and so forth. Then delete that file, then logout. The first time i did this i didn't close System Preferences and the file was rebuilt a few seconds later. But after doing it the second time, and logging out then back in i got the Setup Assistant and then i was able to set my new list of Login Items. I logged out then in and the new list started just fine. I tested this later by adding a new item, waited and hour and looked again, and the newly added item was still there. So thanks for the help, it worked!

Login Items reverts to old list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.