Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create an image of an audio CD

Hi everyone,
I just recorded my new DJ set, and I would like to share it over my website. But this time I would like to share it, not only in MP3 format, but also as an actual CD, that people could download and burn as if it were an original.
I have one burned copy, all nicelly tracked and all that, and I tryed to create an image with Disk Utility, which doesn't seem to work at all.
Also, I want to share that CD image, both for Mac and PC, so how do I do that? Because probably I'll need different formats for different platforms, right? Am I confusing stuff here?
Can any of your bright minds guide me on this one?

Thanks a lot.

iMac Intel Core Duo / MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 1,83GHz; 2GB RAM / 2,0GHz; 1GB RAM

Posted on May 13, 2008 10:28 AM

5 replies

May 13, 2008 12:05 PM in response to anamorphis

Anamorphis,
You are confusing me for one. Insert your CD, start disk utility. Select the CD's name in the left panel list. Choose File>New>Disk Image from <disk name>.
Choose "read-only" for your audio CD and "DVD/CD master."
This image will make a CD that is read by all players. That's the SOP for bulk sharing CD's.
As to uploading an image to a web site for people to burn, maybe a compressed file would help with bandwidth and download time but I doubt it would work for PC's.
Just my best guess on the PC compatibility.
Good luck, dhort

May 13, 2008 1:57 PM in response to anamorphis

dhort,
You are confusing me as well.
What do you think a PC-user could do with a .CDR-image in HFS+ format?
And what a Macuser should do with this file too?

I think anamorphis wanted to offer a format what can be used to burn it directly as Audio-CD;
PC-user could burn bin/cue-files for example with Nero directly as Audio-CDs.
For Macusers are also a lot of applications like Toast or maybe LiquidCD for burning this image as Audio-CD.

Sure, as Macuser you could copy the Audio-files from .CDR-image into iTunes or burn-apps, but thats not the smart way.

How to create an image of an audio CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.