Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn tracks into shorter region ?

Hello, I imported a MIDI file into logic and every track is displayed as one long region. Can I easily change that so that it would be displayed as phrases to reflect the actual MIDI data on the track?

Posted on Aug 21, 2005 8:26 PM

5 replies

Aug 22, 2005 12:25 AM in response to Yvon Couture

You can split the region into smaller equal-sized regions if you want. Hold option key while splitting with the scissor tool.

You can drag the left corner to the right to have it start at the first note in the region.

Other than those things, you need to split it manually. (How is Logic to know what constitutes a phrase anyway? Unless you define the boundaries.)

Aug 22, 2005 6:13 AM in response to David Eager

Thanks, yes I know I can do this manually. I was kind of hoping there'd be a faster way.

As to how Logic could recognize those region? Well, I used to work with SVP under OS 9 and it had an option where you could tell it to automatically spilt the display of a track as soon as a certain amount of silence was reach. ie one beat, one measure etc.

I also noted that the same MIDI file is imported as a bunch of smaller region in DP. I'd like to be able to achieve something similar in Logic.

Let me add that when I said phrase I do not necessarily mean a musical phrase, but as you may have guessed, just a shorter region, however defined by silence on the track.

turn tracks into shorter region ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.