Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Anyone able to get an external monitor to work with Macbook in Vista?

4242 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2008 4:30 AM by benducklow RSS
azure8 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 15, 2008 8:27 PM
I've tried everything. Downloaded the latest Intel Graphics driver. No dice. I'm using a mini DVI to DVI connection for an external 24" NEC.

Anyone get this working? I have the latest rev MacBook.
Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • rundkub Calculating status...
    I have the same problem, strange solution, I will try it

Message was edited by: rundkub
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Vista
  • rundkub Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Now it works, with minidvi-dvi-screen cable. its the second time it works. I downloaded the latest drivers for windows, intel965, bootcamp, restarted 10 times in the process, I just started windows and the other screen came to life. its a strange problem, dont know if it will show up again.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Vista Home Premium
    I restarted the computer, now it doesnt work. ****! I have Apple, ******* ******** software. Come one guys and fix this!
    I bought a minidvi to vga cable, connected it to my vga cable for the screen and it works now. Strange that the minidvi to dvi cable to my dvi-input didn't work. I have sent a email to Intel telling them of this bug.
  • Firebird74 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    The mini-DVI to DVI(D) adpater issue is causing me some heartache and a fix does not look likely soon. It does work under MAC OS X however this not what I need for my work day to day. Also a VGA signal at 1680 x 1050 gets a bit noisy and forget it if you use an analogue KVM. I noticed that some DVI issues where on the 'issues resolved' list on the latest intel driver (6th August 2008) however it does not fix this. Those of you with a DVI-I or DVI-A external monitor maybe able to get this to work withe the mini-DVI to VGA adapter and an additional VGA>DVI adapter. Those of us who require DVI-D are just plain gubbed by the look of it. Does anyone have any feedback from the manufacturers on this?
    Macbook MB402B/A, Windows Vista
  • Leonthewolf Calculating status...
    Strangely enough I was able to get an external monitor - a Sony Bravia Hidef TV - to work straight away using Vista on a Macbook. I just used the mini- Video cable supplied with the MacBook. For weeks and even months I had no trouble.

Then I decided to install service pack 1.

After that I could not get the external monitor to work reliably. Sometimes it would be there; sometimes not.

I uninstalled SP1 and, after a few hiccoughs, I have got it working reliably again by using the Nvidia control panel.

Has anyone else had these problems after installing SP1?
    Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Several Windows machines
  • benducklow Calculating status...
    I am very glad I came across this post. I JUST installed Vista SP1 on my BC partition but ended up using a set of drivers found on this post in order to get Boot Camp tot load at all:

http://www.iotashan.com/index.php/2008/07/06/install-vista-x64-sp1-under-bootcam p/

Regardless, I am also trying to use an external monitor while booting into Vista and it seems I don't have a Nvidia Control Panel like most of you. I have since upgraded to the latest Boot Camp 2.1 tools but with not change. In Vista device manager, my graphics driver is listed as a "generic VGA" adapter, I am sure this is the cause but have been unable to point the device to use a correct driver.

Any help on what I can do would help greatly. Thanks much!!
    Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Dou, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, 256Mb GeForce 8600M GT
  • benducklow Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Found a solution for my issue. Simply download this set of nVidia drivers:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20200

Hope this helps someone else.
    Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Dou, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, 256Mb GeForce 8600M GT

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.