Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Usage of VST-Plug ins in Mainstage

Hello everybody,

is there anyone who succesfully can install any vst-plug-in with mainstage? My problem is, I need a 80s-synthesizer-arpeggiator-sound for playing an ABBA-song in a big Theatre-Show. Because there is no build in arpeggiator in Mainstage, I wanted to use a 3rd party VST-Plug-In-synthesizer that has an arpeggiator built in.
Now I'm trying to get that party startet for over a week now but it doesn't seem work.

Can anybody help me please?

thx and greetz,
MacAlex76

MB CD, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

Posted on May 16, 2008 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2008 10:57 PM

Well, I haven't used Mainstage, but Logic can't use VST's, and I'm pretty sure Mainstage is the same. You have to install Audio Units, not VST's.
3 replies

May 18, 2008 3:59 AM in response to MacAlex76

Zuelito is correct. You need an AU plug-in, not a VST. Nearly every VST plug-in softsynth is also available in an AudioUnit format, so, that should be easy.

Depending on what you've been used to, saying "VST" might just be the format of softsynth that you're accustomed to using, but on a Mac, they're "AU"s. 🙂

You didn't say which softsynth you wanted to use... but if it's an ABBA thing you're needing to do, and you want a softsynth emulation of any of the classic synths, they're all available, so plenty of choice!

depending on the arpeggio... you might want to use Delay Designer, as you can create very specific, tempo-locked delays (tuned/pitched delays, thus the arpeggio emulation)... a possible added plus is that you can put these under a single key if you want...

good luck!

May 18, 2008 1:41 PM in response to michaelhuisman

Hello,
thank you all very much for your answers - they helped me a lot.
Now I will look for an AU arpeggiator plug in, that I can use in Mainstage. Does anybody know, how that works as far as I found one? Whereto I have to put that plug In, so Logic and Mainstage are able to find it?
Or does anybody know a good one?

If I won't find some proper plug in I'll the michaelhuisman's delay-solution!

Thanks so far!

Usage of VST-Plug ins in Mainstage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.