Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Date/Time change on iPod Touch after sync

Everytime i sync my iPod Touch i find that afterwards the date and time are no where near what they should be. Has anyone else encountered this or know of a solution as it has become quite annoying having to reset the date and time after each sync.

dell, Windows Vista

Posted on May 16, 2008 6:47 PM

16 replies

May 17, 2008 3:26 AM in response to k32m

Hey, k32m! Welcome to the Apple forums.

I'm afraid loads of people seem to be having this problem - and there isn't a definite solution. Some people say that disabling daylight saving on the clock on your computer solves the problem, some say that you'll just have to bear with it. You'll just have to be satisfied that Apple know, and in the next update, they may fix it. *I have this problem too, and I find that if you just re-connect it to your computer (don't sync it), and then leave it for a while, it will get the time back to normal for you.* This isn't a quick-fix, though, but works for me.

I'm sure Apple will fix it for $20.

May 25, 2008 8:20 AM in response to k32m

OK, called in to apple about this and the tech I spoke to was unaware of this issue and suggested I take it in to the apple store. Well wouldn't you know it the issue wouldn't duplicate for them... And as my luck goes as soon as I got home *poof according to my touch it was October 2007. Second trip out to the apple store with laptop in tow and again the issue wouldn't duplicate.

What I have found since then is that if I have iTunes open when I connect it the time and date rolls but if I close it and re-open it the time and date corrects itself. Also the time/date rollover does not occur if iTunes is closed when I conect the touch to the computer.

Jun 4, 2008 10:49 PM in response to k32m

Hi Time travellers! My first itouch kept reverting to RABAT in Morocco as the Time Zone, (even though I'd set it to London, and my pc is set to GMT)and goes back one hour. My replacement itouch does exactly the same thing!!! Apple Tech support have been extremely helpful, but unfortunately haven't been able to solve the problem. I've removed itunes, quicktime etc and reinstalled them, restored the itouch a few times and tried to alter the settings millions of times ..... all unsuccessful ..... my itouch wants to remain on RABAT time! I'm hopeful that the last lady I spoke to for hours at Apple will come back to me with some updated info from Apple Engineering ...... fingers crossed!
I've connected to my neighbours Mac PC and it doesn't revert. Maybe doesn't like my Windows PC?

Jun 5, 2008 9:24 AM in response to k32m

I can replicate this problem with Windows Vista and the latest iTunes.

Start iTunes then put Vista to sleep. Wake up Vista and attach the Touch. The date and time will be set to some random value.

If I wake Vista, shut down iTunes then restart iTunes, the problem doesn't occur. In my case, it seems to be related to having iTunes open when Vista goes to sleep.

Your mileage may vary...

Joe

Jun 17, 2008 4:49 PM in response to woolley007

I could always meet you in Rabat for a pint. Mine seems to have the same wish for global travel.

Does yours suddenly stop playing during an album or playlist as well, and revert back to the main menu window when you switch it back on, and when chosing music again to restart the tracks you were listening to it automatically reverts to the previous album or playlist before the one you were listening to that was interupted?

Just thought the two might be linked in some way.

Was going to scrub the disc and start again but I am not sure from some of the responses that I have seen that this would work any better and might be a waste of a couple of days.

Any thoughts?

Jul 5, 2008 4:44 PM in response to forzaforza

that solution works!! thanks so much! i had this exact same problem that when my windows pc woke up from standby with itunes already open and i tried to sync my iTouch, the clock and date would set to a random value. after u wake up from standby u have to close itunes and reopen itunes and then sync your iTouch. That fixes the time and date problem and makes it set to the correct values.

Jul 16, 2008 6:38 PM in response to k32m

I understand how you all feel about this frustrating date change. I sent it in to Apple and conveniently they couldn't find any problems. I have read a number of forums and the following action cured my ipod's illness. (I have a PC)

1) Uncheck the "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time"
2)(This may adjust your time back or up an hour) If this is the case change your time zone forward one or back.

I hope this works for you all. If it works correctly the time will automatically adjust on your ipod to the correct time.

Even with this problem it's still a great product.

Jul 21, 2008 9:36 AM in response to spurkster

I updated to 2.0 and am having similar problems. My clock keeps defaulting to Managua, Nicaragua!! Also, it does not happen only when syncing, sometimes when I power off the iPod and restart it, the clock changes. This really irritates me because the date changes also, so then my New York Times app will not update, because it has an older date and the iPod thinks it is already updated. VERY Frustrating.

Date/Time change on iPod Touch after sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.