You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yamaha 01v Mixer and Logic

I have a need for a mixer and better audio interface (using MBox now). I have a Yamaha 01v mixer that I haven't used before now. Has anyone used this equipment with Logic? Any comments about its usability with Logic and about its quality as an interface would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 8, 2005 10:51 AM

5 replies

Sep 9, 2005 6:48 AM in response to Robert Caldwell2

I can't believe no-one has answered this. the 01v is famously a brilliant mixer, though it is not an interface as well as the 01x. it has motorized faders and almost certainly has midi connectivity. i'm not sure i don't own one, but that would be how you would use it as control surface i would imagine. you could get a good firewire interface to use in conjunction with it. one with multi ins/outs to mix on the 01v or one with just a few if you want to mix inside logic.

Sep 10, 2005 7:25 AM in response to Robert Caldwell2

no i haven't had any experience with it, but yamaha make great stuff good reverbs, desks, eq's - i don't know about their mic pre's but i'll bet they're good. what's great is that it is an extremely affordable and complete solution. interface, control surface, great onboard fx so you can take some of the load off logic (particularly if you aren't using that powerful a computer). i'd be sorely tempted.

nothing wrong with 01v though. the whole thing with desks though, is that logic is kind of taking over from them. i have a freind whose taken the plunge and gotten rid of hios desk altogether. just has patchbay (for anything external that needs to come in) interface and computer. job done.

Sep 10, 2005 10:25 AM in response to Robert Caldwell2

I'm not to sure that you can use the o1v as a controller for Logic. I seem to remember that you can for PT and cubase but they never did a protocal for logic. Check the yamaha web site and or contact their tech support if you want to know for sure.

to be honest my o1v is collecting dust at this point. The main reason is that the converters are ok. They are all 20 bit and the monitor section is 18. I use to use this to track my keyboards into pt via light pipe. my problem is that when you had all of your stuff sounding the way that you wanted it to sound and then proceeded to track it into you daw, it sounded different than the sound you were monitoring off of the o1v and not as good. what i'm sying is that the sound that you get monitoring off of the o1v and the sound you will get monitoring off of you daw will be different, I have gotten decent result out of this, but it use to drive me crazy. I have friends who've trackeda drums and bass through it and it did work pretty well but they complained bout the same issues that I did.

whether it is better than the mbox. you'll really have to do a test and see.

I haven't tried the new one yet but have been curious.

good luck,

ej

Sep 11, 2005 9:03 AM in response to Robert Caldwell2

Hi there
I've been using an 01v with logic for years and it's great, truly an exceptional product. For me it works flawlessly with logic. I believe that nearly everything in it has midi functionality except for the gain controls and the pads, but I haven't needed to explore that. The main problem with it these days are that its AD/DA converters are only 20 bit, and you've got to decide whether that's acceptable for you. All the digital ins and outs are 24 bit capable, and the internal processing is all 24 bit. It's fairly easy to get around once you've spent a few hours with it. The effects are pretty good, definitely better than any other digital mixer in the price range. Will the Mbox do stand alone analog to digital conversion? If so you can hook it up to the 01v's digital inputs and use it as a stereo preamp/24 bit converter. Mine is connected to my computer via a RME Digi 96 pst and the AD conversion is significantly better from the 01v than the RME card despite 24 bit 96k hype. By the way I actually use an Apogee converter most of the time, but will happily use the 01v when I need more than stereo inputs at once.

Yamaha 01v Mixer and Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.