Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No more internal speakers settings on system pref

Greetings,
My MacBook on OS X (10.5) out of the blue moon has no sound coming out of the machine (boot up chime is still there though). The sound will still come out from plug in ear phones. On inspection, the sound system pref no longer shows internal speakers but digital out. Any clue?

PMac G5 2.3DP, Mac OS X (10.4.3), ATi Radeon 9800, ACD 20", ASD 17", 2.5gig RAM

Posted on May 21, 2008 6:42 AM

9 replies

May 21, 2008 7:42 AM in response to George Chew

Hi George

There's a micro switch in the socket which detects whether or not a conventional headphone or an optical connector is plugged in. Sometimes this switch gets stuck causing the symptoms you describe.

To fix it you need to unstick the switch. Sometimes this can be done by repeatedly plugging and unplugging a head phone connector, otherwise you need to use a small non conducting probe (a tooth pick being favoured) into the socket at the 3 o'clock position to turn off the switch - carefully! I've never had the problem personally so I can't describe it in more detail.

Good luck

Bob

May 21, 2008 9:29 PM in response to George Chew

I'm having the same problem, but neither plugging and unplugging the headphones nor sticking a nonconducting probe in seems to be helping. (My "nonconducting probe" is a tine broken off of a plastic fork, if that matters — I couldn't find any toothpicks in the house.)

Also, when I press the volume up or down buttons (F11 or F12) I get this strange "no sound" icon: !http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/josiahrowe/weirdsoundicon.png!

Am I just not toggling the switch right, or is there something else going on here?

May 26, 2008 9:19 AM in response to Josiah Rowe

I have exactly the same problem. I can hear sound when the headphones are in, and i can change the sound level. BUT, when i unplug the headphones there is no sound at all from the internal speakers and i get the sound level option as you show above. No sound is heard when i start up.

In sound settings the build in speakers option is gone!

No more internal speakers settings on system pref

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.