Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI support

Any idea as to whether Apple will finally bury the DVI and provide HDMI support for laptops and desktops?

siberian

Mac Mini Intel Duo Core & MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 2 Gigs of mem

Posted on May 21, 2008 3:29 PM

5 replies

Jul 10, 2008 4:25 PM in response to Siberian

I don't see why they would switch from DVI to HDMI. The signals are literally identical (thus why you can adapt between the two with a simple wire) and DVI's connector design is better suited for computer use. HDMI is a home theater interface. That's why the only PCs you see it on are "media center" machines.

If you want to hook your MBP to a TV that lacks a DVI port, go buy a $5 adapter and be happy. Again, it's electrically identical, so the adapter is just changing the shape of the plug and thus costs practically nothing.

Jul 11, 2008 1:52 PM in response to Siberian

I connect my PowerBook G4 (17) to HDMI monitors and TVs all the time. It properly detects screen resolution and aspect ratios, plus you can change the resolution depending on specific needs. The only thing that it does not have is audio since DVI does not have it. you then connect the audio with an analog mini-to-RCA cable. Most TVs will let you input the audio through an analog connection. You can also mirror the display.

There are adapters and cables. I personally use and prefer the cable (DVI-HDMI). If you buy carefully, you can get a decent cable for $15.

For now, I think you'd be better off with DVI since it has digital and analog outputs in the same connector. HDMI is only digital so your hardware would require an additional port for analog connections, taking more space and adding cost. HDMI is great since it can carry 8 channels of digital audio. For most laptop uses and scenarios, HDMI is not a necessity. For desktops it may be different (the Apple TV has it) and if you have a tower workstation, you can add it as an expansion card.

HDMI support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.