Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod plays but no sound (not a volume issue)

So my iPod doesn't output any audio anymore. Whether I place it in a dock, connect it to an FM transmitter in my car, our use regular headphones, I get no sound. Even if the volume is cranked to the max on the ipod, still nothing. It still updates if I connect it to my computer, and still charges when connected to a dock or FM transmitter. If I select a song and press "play", it appears as if everything is normal, but no sound is there. I've tried restarting it and restoring it. Nothing. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 22, 2008 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2008 12:11 AM

Everything works (charging, plays music, plays videos play games,sync's and even reset it twice) but the sound, nothing comes out of the dock port or headphone jack. Volume is set to max just nothing comes out. I've try three different radio docks, five different headsets, and my computer dock and non of them get a drop of sound out of my Ipod. I've even tried squeezing the lower right corner and still nothing. Is this something that can be fix if I ship it to Apple Support? Please, help apple support!
21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2008 12:11 AM in response to norski87

Everything works (charging, plays music, plays videos play games,sync's and even reset it twice) but the sound, nothing comes out of the dock port or headphone jack. Volume is set to max just nothing comes out. I've try three different radio docks, five different headsets, and my computer dock and non of them get a drop of sound out of my Ipod. I've even tried squeezing the lower right corner and still nothing. Is this something that can be fix if I ship it to Apple Support? Please, help apple support!

Aug 10, 2008 5:31 AM in response to norski87

I have read the other thread relating to this problem, if you are having the same static coming thru, and then no sound, the guy says to press the the lower right corner of the click wheel, and the sound comes back thru. I think it is a heat related issue, and like the other poster, i leave mine in the car 24/7...If apple wants more business, they need to stop messing around and stand behind their product/make better products...it's convenient for them to put that 1 year warranty out there and have their product take a crap on you after it's up. I'm going to attempt for them to service the iPood w/o charge, so wish me luck....

Jul 30, 2008 6:08 PM in response to norski87

i am having the same problem. if i press on my ipod towards the right side of the wheel, i can get sound, but is very harsh, and sounds kind of like digital noise or clipping, and then it will sound like music, and then back to nothing and so on and so on. i am wondering if there maybe some sort of upgrade issue or something!?!? i looked at the dates for most of these posts and they are all from today. so magically, today all of us started having this problem? i take good care of my ipod, and can;t imagine what i might have done to harm the little thing.

please apple, helps us!!

Jul 31, 2008 9:00 AM in response to ROSEMARYROCKS

ok, i have fixed the problem, at least for now. i read on one of the millions of forums about this problem, that it may be a heat sensitivity thing. so i put my ipod in the refrigerator for an hour or so, and i kid you not... it seems to be working just fine. i used to leave my ipod in the car 24/7 (i know, i know this is bad). but, after having cooled it next to a head of lettuce and a jug of milk, it seems to be fine!?!?! just thought i would share. hope it helps some of you who are having the same problem.

iPod plays but no sound (not a volume issue)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.