Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut for "Use grayscale" ?

In my workflow I need to turn on and off greyscale a lot. Does anybody know a keyboard shortcut to do that?

Going to System Preferences > Universal Access > and click "Use grayscale" is a bit annoying.

I know there's a shortcut for "Switch to black-on-white", so why not for "Use grayscale" ?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Posted on May 24, 2008 5:40 AM

4 replies

May 31, 2008 12:11 PM in response to Cloudlight

I am a colorblind user and with the grayscale mode I get a more relaxing screen. But my girlfriend likes color better, so we switch quite often. And I was wondering the same thing, how to create a shortcut or a Automator action.

I would really like such an option, or replace the current shortcut for black-on-white to white-on-black to grayscale on of switch.

I really like this grayscale, thanx for putting it in.

G.

Jun 2, 2008 4:53 PM in response to Cloudlight

I think, the only way to add a shortcut for "Use grayscale" is to create an Applescript, that will be launched by a 3rd Party Hotkey-Manager application like Butler, Quicksilver or others.

Because you can´t script the "Universal Access" pane directly, you have to realize it with a special kind of Applescript, called UI-Scripting.

So first of all, if you will give it a try, open "Universal Access" and "enable access for assistive devices". This will be necessary to make UI-Scripting work!

I do not know the correct Applescript terminology, but this will work:

tell application "System Preferences"
activate
reveal first anchor of pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"
delay 1
tell application "System Events"
tell process "System Preferences"
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke tab
keystroke space
end tell
end tell
quit
end tell

Most of this 3rd Party apps like Butler can run this Applescript directly.

Or open the script in ScriptEditor.app and save it as an application(-bundle). Drag this application then to your dock and run it from there.

Spażek

Jul 7, 2008 12:06 PM in response to spazek

This is simpler:

tell application "System Preferences" to activate
delay 1

tell application "System Events"
tell process "System Preferences"
click the menu item "Universal Access" of the menu "View" of menu bar 1
click the radio button "Seeing" of the first tab group of window "Universal Access"
click the checkbox "Use grayscale" of tab group 1 of window "Universal Access"
end tell
end tell
tell application "System Preferences" to quit

Keyboard shortcut for "Use grayscale" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.