Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari freezes when typing in address bar

I can type in google and obviously here but when I typing in the address bar after about 7 letters the whole application freezes. No more typing allowed just a spinning ball. Repaired permissions and ran disk utility it still freezes. Any clue?

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quad, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Acer 24 inch, 300, 500, 1000 GB drives

Posted on May 24, 2008 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2008 9:02 AM

Hi

Typing in the URL window triggers prompts, matching what you are typing. If Safari freezes, then a corrupted file may be at play. This can include Safari's cache, history, metadata and/or bookmarks files.

Try this: first, go to your Finder: There, go to your User Account>Library>Caches. Move to the trash the com.apple.Safari file and the Bookmarks folder in Caches>Metadata>Safari folder. Next, same library, go to the Safari folder, moving to the trash the History.plist file. Now restart Safari and try the URL window.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2008 9:02 AM in response to James Borzak

Hi

Typing in the URL window triggers prompts, matching what you are typing. If Safari freezes, then a corrupted file may be at play. This can include Safari's cache, history, metadata and/or bookmarks files.

Try this: first, go to your Finder: There, go to your User Account>Library>Caches. Move to the trash the com.apple.Safari file and the Bookmarks folder in Caches>Metadata>Safari folder. Next, same library, go to the Safari folder, moving to the trash the History.plist file. Now restart Safari and try the URL window.

Aug 2, 2008 1:49 AM in response to Jpfresno

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions; MAC discussions are dominated by helpful and polite people thankfully. I will remember that important tip re resolved versus unresolved threads.

If I may, for the benefit of any one stumbling across this with a similar problem, here is how eventually I resolved it. I spent abut 40 minutes with Apple Care on this and we tried a lot of things - emptying caches, reinstalling Safari, repairing permissions, verifying disk. Nothing seemed to work. Ultimately, it was faster and easier to erase the account (ensuring any important files were safe) and just recreate it. Of course, this is not a great option for everyone, in my case, as there was little that needed saving on the second account, it was faster. I am still curious as to the origin of the problem.

Cheers

Safari freezes when typing in address bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.