Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using maildir with Postfix

MAILDIR : Qmail ---> Postfix
I'm migrating from Qmail (on an eMac 🙂 to Postfix on a MacPro.

One thing I'm reluctant to leave behind is the use of maildir ("Two words: no locks").
Is anyone here using maildir with Postfix on OS X Server (10.5.2)?
How did you get it to work cleanly?
Are there any caveats to using the Sys Admin tool afterwords?

I love Qmail... but, I think I need to move to Postfix on the Pro for ease of ongoing maintenance and updates. Qmail is ROCK solid once set up, but is a bit of a pain to remember everything you need to get into place for updating a piece of the toaster. Though I love what daemontools provides, I'll also be able to use launchd now for more simplicity. The thought of setting up the complete qmail toaster again makes my brain hurt. That's the problem with a great setup that worked, you forget it!

FYI - links of note:
http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html -- DJBs qmail site
http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html -- info about maildir
http://www.qmailrocks.org/ -- one of the best qmail toaster sites (close to the same tools as OS X)
http://www.zippy6.net/osx/qmail.html -- adventures on OS X (& qmail)

Virtual Domains & WGM Users
An aside.. I'm using vpopmail for virtual domains... and I'm researching the virtual domain thing on 10.5.2+postfix... do I really need to use WGM? I don't want to create OS level users if I can help it... Maybe I just don't understand WGM -- I've been reading the forum on this issue, but there are lots of posts to weed through...! so if you also know about this issue... that'd be great! 🙂

Mac Pro (08), Mac OS X (10.5.2), iPhone|PB15|iMac(s)|Power240pro|840av|SE/30|Mac+|Mac128k

Posted on May 24, 2008 7:53 AM

10 replies

May 24, 2008 8:18 AM in response to jasaten

For the virtual domain issue... I understand I can rebuild Postfix with MySQL support...
but....:

1) Rebuilding a MTA is what I was trying to avoid... but if I must...
2) If I do that, then
a) How do I make sure all the other pieces (squirrel, mailman, clam-av, spamassassin, etc. are all still configured properly?
b) Can I still use Sys Admin?
c) what about upgrading later...? (I know... who knows...)

My issue, is that if it is going to be this much trouble maybe I shouldn't have gone the OS X server route... I could have just used FreeBSD or installed on regular 'ol Leopard...

I hope Apple fixes this... because there really seems no reason to create lots of local WGM users when all I want to give them is email access. (ok this should be another thread... sorry).

Message was edited by: jasaten

May 24, 2008 8:26 AM in response to jasaten

For maildir with postfix... is it just as simple as the Postfix FAQ states? I guess my real question is, are there any gotchas that others have run into using maildir with Postfix on the OS X server.

From the FAQ: http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#maildir
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Support for maildir-style mailboxes
Maildir is a specific one-file-per-message organization that was introduced with the qmail system by Daniel Bernstein. In order to turn on maildir-style delivery, specify, for example:
/etc/postfix/main.cf:
home_mailbox = Maildir/
Any relative pathname that ends in / turns on maildir delivery. The home_mailbox value is appended to the user's home directory pathname.

The maildir format is also supported with delivery via aliases or via .forward files. Specify /file/name/ as destination. The trailing / turns on maildir delivery.
-------------------------------------------------------------

May 25, 2008 9:23 PM in response to jasaten

Having worked with sendmail (loong ago), then discovering the joys of Postfix, and sometime after having to deal with qmail... shudder I'm glad that qmail box is now retired. Seriously.

I think you're potentially doing yourself a dis-service by needing Postfix to do/be/offer something the way qmail does it.
And perhaps more helpful would be, elaborating on your exact goal and intended usage (that leads you to believe you need the maildir setup for Postfix) ?

May 26, 2008 8:52 AM in response to davidh

Luckily I skipped ever working with sendmail! 🙂

The short answer to your question is: Yes. I'm sure the postfix mailbox default would be just fine especially in my light use case.... But I have (a little) extra time, and I really like maildir. I just think it is superior. So even though I am going leopard server to relieve me of extra work... I can't help tweaking it here or there for fun (cause it isn't for profit!). Asking for others experience in the the forum seems perfectly reasonable. After reading, I'm pretty sure setting for maildir would not be much extra work or break anything. I'm more worried about the virtual domain stuff.

All things being equal, I would prefer to stay with qmail... however, I am a "light" sysadmin, not a pro one. I've managed a few boxes in the past and set up FreeBSD with qmail+tools etc... but I no longer manage those. I still manage my own server at home with a few domains and a small group of email accounts (family and friends).

I'm a Mac guy from WAY back, but I also like Unix (OS X was a huge lump of cool beans for me!) So my computer of choice is a Mac. When I set up the eMac ~4 years ago, I wanted to run qmail on it and I didn't buy OSX server. But, the truth is that putting qmail together on the mac was a HUGE pain in the kiester! Obviously I got it working, but not without a fair amount of tweaking and re-compiling etc. etc. And as you know the eMac is PPC. So now I've got a Mac Pro and it's going to do a lot for me. Since I've got a student discount (MBA), I also got Leopard server.

What I expect is a simpler administration experience, along with more confidence of options for putting things right when they go wrong, including being able to rapidly recreate the server from scratch if I need to. Frankly even with my copious notes, I'm not sure I could recreate the eMac server quickly! (BTW that **** eMac has run flawlessly 24x7 for 4 years straight (another reason to rotate it off.)

So, no, I am not expecting Postfix to "wow" me over qmail. And I'm fine with using a single postfix alias file instead of the pretty cool .qmail-alias files. Though I could build the whole thing, I want all the pieces to pretty much be there for me. I got other fish to fry!

Since I know my way around FreeBSD there just is a bit of a learning curve using Leopard server sys admin tools. Since I'm in no rush (I don't have a busted server), I'm taking my time learning how to get the postfix part of the puzzle set up right: maildir and virtual domains. I'm setting up a new server with OS X server.

I had no intent to write this much LOL.. Your point on mailbox is entirely valid. I just want to use maildir if it isn't too much trouble. "Need?" Nope. I don't need. Incurable computer nut with foibles? Yep! 🙂

May 26, 2008 9:10 AM in response to jasaten

In short: If you want to take advantage of Server Admin and the GUI that comes with Leopard, leave things as they are. By the way, the mailboxes on OS X Server are managed by Cyrus, not Postfix.

If you prefer to use maildir and have MySQL support in Postfix, then install XCode and knock yourself out 🙂 If you roll your own version of Postfix, etc., you can achieve anything you were able to achieve on a FreeBSD system.

May 26, 2008 10:36 AM in response to pterobyte

Ok.. as always: "make changes at your own peril!" 😉

A big thanks for the note on Cyrus...
I'm not familiar with the combo, so that is a real good heads up for me.

Ok... on the virtual domain stuff... So am I right that my choices are:

1) full virtual domains with no OS logins
-- Rebuild with MySQL support and leave the sys admin tool bye bye...
2) virtual domain support with OS logins
-- use as is and live with the leopard server default config

Is it really all that black and white? I'm still learning workgroup manager.. Is there an option 2.5 which allows me to use Workgroup manager but not give the users OS logins? I.e. can my specific email accounts have a separate "directory node"? (btw I have no prior open directory or LDAP experience).

I guess if I wanted to customize the pieces, I just don't need, shouldn't use, leopard server.. I might as well have stuck with FreeBSD (whether as straight FreeBSD or in the guise of OS X). I'll just have to learn to let go... and accept the good and bad of what leopard server gives.

I appreciate the responses... thanks!

May 26, 2008 10:54 AM in response to jasaten

It is not that black and white, but there aren't too many shades of grey either. 😉

If you don't want to recompile Postfix to contain additional database support, your are best off using WGM.
Look closely at the options in WGM. There is a certain amount of restrictions you can apply. For example, make sure your mail only users have no shell access.

Also, in Server Admin, you can define which services a user can or cannot access.

As far as virtual domains are concerned, no matter which way you go, make sure you use Postfix style virtual domains as this will give you more flexibility down the road.

OS X Server mail services are actually very robust and can easily manage large amounts of traffic. Whether you keep the system as is, or build it from scratch will depend entirely on your needs.

I tend to recompile postfix for MySQL or LDAP support only on large system with user bases in the hundreds. And even then I often keep WGM and only add LDAP support to take advantage of ldap transport maps for load balancing et al.

One thing I would definitely not do, is ditch the Postfix/Cyrus combo in favour of a qmail(-ish) setup. Don't see any advantages whatsoever.

May 29, 2008 10:17 PM in response to pterobyte

Thanks for the pointers...
I agree on the qmail angle... after all that is why I bought server in the first place.

I'm settling in to read the pdfs completely on WGM etc... (a lot of pages, I'll be taking my time!)
I saw that users don't need to have home directories on the server, so WGM definitely seems like the way to go in my situation. I was just worried when I was running into web postings here and there saying the virtual domain stuff was somewhat broken.

Thanks & Cheers!
-jason

Using maildir with Postfix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.