6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2008 3:52 AM by IzzieThomas
Lizzy Scott Level 1 (5 points)
Dear forum members,

I can't find the keycaps utility that used to be under the apple menu. Did they change the name? What do they call it now, and where is it located? Please don't tell me they eliminated it!


iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,689 points)
    Hi Lizzy;

    Keycap is dead.

  • Lizzy Scott Level 1 (5 points)
    Oh, that's stupid of them, I've been using it since system 1.1 and have found it a very useful utility! I'm very disappointed in them!

    But thanks for the quick reply, Allan.
  • dechamp Level 4 (3,490 points)
    About as close as you can get built into Leopard:

    System Preferences/International/Input Menu

    Make sure *Keyboard Viewer* is check near the top of the list.

    Make sure *Show Input Menu* is checked near the bottom of the window.

    Choose which language you want - I used *US Extended*

    You should see a flag icon on your menu bar near the Date.

    Choose *Show Keyboard Viewer* from the dropdown menu.

    Not much but it's all I know about.
  • Lizzy Scott Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks, Dechamp, that worked! I'm glad there's still something to help me. It's not as handy as having Keycaps under the Apple menu (20 years of habit will be hard to break!) but I think I'll get used to it. Now if I just remember to look under that little flat, rather than under the Apple!

  • dechamp Level 4 (3,490 points)
    Great! Glad it works for you. I don't need it very often, and I forget where it is sometimes, but it's there.

    It would be nice to be able to resize it's window... Oh wait, I couldn't drag the window larger but the green button works! Nice and big for these eyes
  • IzzieThomas Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi, any idea how to change fonts with the Keyboard Viewer? It used to be an option in earlier OSX platforms, but now it has gone altogether.