Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login

Hi Forum,

a strange thing happened... I have several users on my machine like father, girfriend... and logging in to one of these users leads to a long long blue empty screen and then leads me back to the login window of all my users.
This happened without any system uppgrades. The last update where Melancholytron, a Photoshop filter, Mac Spice am application, that is all.
Any hints?

Thanks

Oliver

Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on May 25, 2008 3:51 PM

8 replies

May 25, 2008 4:24 PM in response to Oliver Hoeveler

Similar problem here. Login recognizes an incorrect password. With a correct password, the Logging In bar shows briefly in the login pane, then the Leopard outer space background shows with nothing else for quite a while. Then a blue screen, followed by the login pane again.

I have not updated the system recently. All I can think of that might be different is that I disabled a few duplicate fonts in the user library using Font Book.

Safe Mode doesn't help.

Running fsck in single user mode shows no problems.

May 26, 2008 5:41 PM in response to Oliver Hoeveler

i had a similar problem last week

have 2 user accounts on my mac (mine and my wife's) and all of a sudden i couldn't log on - kept getting returned to the logon screen

i hand't upgraded or installed any software since the 10.5.2 update a few months back

in the end the only thing that 'fixed' the problem was doing an archive installation with the leopard disk

Jun 26, 2008 1:59 PM in response to Oliver Hoeveler

I just started having this problem as well. Just started happening this morning. However, I can log in to the Guest Account. When I do this I see that Spotlight is indexing my drive. I can't ever see how long the indexing process is going to take. I suspect never since I waited over ten minutes for the little Spotlight window to give me a time estimate but I never got one. Who knows. I didn't try to log into the other regular user account (other than my own account.)

I understand that the solution that has worked for many on this thread is to perform an Archive and Install. That's great--however I'd rather not have to go through the process.

I just backed up my machine two days ago using Time Machine. How would I fare it I started up from the Install DVD and chose the option to restore from a backup? Could I choose to restore the System Folder and see how that goes?

Would it be better? safer? quicker?

Cannot login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.