Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move email to file

I received a report in Mail and can't get it to retain its format when I try and save it to Appleworks, Microsoft Office or Textedit by using copy/paste. Paste and Match Style also does not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks from Sheryl

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on May 27, 2008 7:30 PM

9 replies

May 30, 2008 4:16 PM in response to mack7

Hi,

Have you tried 'clicking' Mail in the menu bar (I assume you are using it, if not 'click' on whatever mail program you are using), go down to "Services". All the bold items will accept the transfer you want to do... once higlighted in Mail, you will be able to move it to other programs.

"Services" is in every programs Menu... it's a very handy thing to have and use.

Jun 2, 2008 12:21 PM in response to mack7

Hi again,

Did you try and open the e-mail you want to move, with the Mouse, go to the upper left corner on the message body, click and hold while going down to the bottom right of the body (if it is beyond the screen, just keep nudging the bottom right and it will move lower for you); once it is 'HighLighted', see what 'Services' are in Bold.

Also, you may have to move it to a text edit program first then to your other one next... almost like using the 'ClipBoard'.

Jun 9, 2008 9:33 AM in response to The Bohemian

Okay, it will go into Textedit to some extent. There is a grid in the file and when I select the message with the mouse, there are parts of the grid that will not select. The parts are lines or represent lines and also blank spaces. It makes it easier to read if the lines and blanks are in place.

Is there a way that I can select all of the message, including the lines and blank spaces?

Thanks from Sheryl

Jun 9, 2008 12:01 PM in response to mack7

Hi again,

You got me there?

When I do it, it leaves out the 'blank spaces' and then where ever I put it, it "Fits" it to the size screen open in that program. In this way, it can be edited.

What you are talking about is like when I take a screen/window shot (Picture), and move that to another location... it maintains all that was in that shot as is. But then, it cannot be edited either, as it is a picture, not a document.

Do you have a program for taking screen shots? Like SnapNDrag or Paparazzi? (Both are on VersionTracker as Freeware) Paparazzi has more bells and whistles and better resolution too.

If it is in picture format, then a picture editing program would be able to edit it... depending on the options within the program.

I know of no way (that I have used) to have it both ways.

Jul 5, 2008 3:18 PM in response to mack7

Hi Again,

Look for 'SnapNDrag' on VersionTracker... that will take a picture of the whole screen, or JUST THE WINDOW OPEN. I tried it with my e-mail and it takes the whole screen. To do just the e-mail, you will have to double click it to put it in it's own window... then that is all that is the picture.

There are a number of settings to set, so look them over and have some test runs to see what they look like... you can also put them in any location you want when you click the little floppy-disk icon.

See if this one does closer to what you are looking for.

Can't move email to file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.