Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Postcard Virus

I have just gotten an e-mail from a friend advising me about a new virus. McAfee has apparently identified a new "postcard virus" which they say is one of the most destructive ever.

Does anyone know if MAC is still virus free.......

I know sooner or later someone is going to come after the MACs. This one can destroy the entire "C" drive. Can we be certain it can't hit our MACs???

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), MacBook Pro 1.83 Ghz - 1 gig ram - 10.4.6 / ibook g3 700mhz 512 ram

Posted on May 28, 2008 9:23 AM

7 replies

May 28, 2008 9:36 AM in response to DGKentucky

This one can destroy the entire "C" drive. Can we be certain it can't hit our MACs???

Last time I checked, my Mac didn't have a "c:" drive (but my PCs do, and some of them even have "d:", "e:", and "f:" drives).

Not to mention that from my brief reading, that level of destructiveness for this virus is a myth, and McAfee assesses the risk as "low".

Nevertheless, it won't affect your Mac. There are *no Mac-infecting viruses in the wild*.

Relax. You may have a cold or the flu, but your Mac is fine.

The only caveat there is if you are running Windows on an Intel-based Mac, either via a virtual machine (Parallels/VMware) or via Boot Camp. If so, your Windows partition is subject to all of the risks any Windows PC is subject to (viruses/adware/spyware/malware).

May 28, 2008 9:44 AM in response to DGKentucky

Well, you know, I wouldn't worry about it now. These things have tried invading
Mac Systems, before now, but without success. A Virus will tend to target the
easier option, ie; Microsoft Windows.

As for what McAfee say....leave it in one ear, and out the other one, they're just
trying to get people scared enough, to buy their product. Forget about it.

Jim.

May 28, 2008 10:06 AM in response to DGKentucky

Be sure any email you open is authentic. And that your system has current updates, and then still be careful on the web. Everyone uses Flash, shops, and some banks use Flash for authentication system.

Flash vulnerability
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/29386/discuss
http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?newsID=101610&pagtype=all
http://www.macintouch.com

Seems to build on the SQL-injection method and use MPack.

May 28, 2008 10:41 AM in response to DGKentucky

Just make sure your Mac doesn't become a Typhoid Mary. Essentially only forward e-mails with attachments from sources you are familiar with.

Also note, Macs are not called MACs. See this user tip:

http://discussions.apple.com/click.jspa?searchID=10441875&messageID=2441666

As others have noted, unless you run windows, you don't currently have to worry about it infecting your Mac.

May 28, 2008 10:55 AM in response to a brody

Actually, SQL-injections don't care too much what you run as long as you have a browser and javascript and plug-ins, while "don't worry, be happy" well, I'm a defensive driver.

... it is what you don't know that will bite you, not what you know.

And this stuff isn't standing still. AV depends on a signature, and always one step behind.

May 28, 2008 6:21 PM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:
Actually, SQL-injections don't care too much what you run as long as you have a browser and javascript and plug-ins, while "don't worry, be happy" well, I'm a defensive driver.

SQL injection attacks don't affect the client (browser) directly, but instead, they hits the server. They're either trying to get information out of a web site's database, or put information in. In the case of the recent Flash exploit, the way they get people to download their malware is to use SQL injection to put links to the malware in databases on the web, like maybe the comments to a blog, that direct the browser to the malware.

Unless you have a web server running on your Mac with a database server and take input from your visitors, you don't have to worry about SQL injection attacks on your machine. You'd only have to worry about the web sites you visit, and whether they might be vulnerable.

charlie

Postcard Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.