Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstall 10.5.3

Hello everyone.

I downloaded and installed the 10.5.3 update today... In the beginning I was excited because it would solve some issues I was having with the graphics card (or something else, I don't know) that used to make my computer to display text very strangely on many applications. They told me it was a very common thing among MacBook Pro users and that it was gonna be fixed on this update. Anyway, I have no idea if it got fixed...

But, even though my Wi-Fi connection wasn't the best before the "update", it was waaaaaay better than it is now. I used to have some interruptions, but right now it's almost impossible for me to use my Internet. It's almost disconnected from the router all the time... Whenever it's not (10% of the time) it is sloooooow as heeeell... It takes me literally a few minutes to open a simple web page.

Anyway, I hate this so-called update and I wish I had never installed it.

I tried unplugging my router and left it off for half an hour. Meanwhile I removed the wireless's profile and restarted.

All that to find out that it still doesn't work... If I get closer to the router it works great, but on my desk it's impossible to get a signal. And sure, a lot of people will say "well, get closer the the **** router!"... but I need it to work all the way here... And it was working fine, before the update!

Can somebody tell me how to uninstall it?? Thanks!!

2008 MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3), NO

Posted on May 29, 2008 8:40 AM

13 replies

May 29, 2008 9:06 AM in response to jcgnujcgnu

there is no procedure to uninstall system updates. If you have a TM backup you can use full system restore from TM to roll back your system to a time point prior to 10.5.3 installation. If you don't keep backups then your only option is to reinstall the OS (archive and install is the least painful reinstall option).

Message was edited by: V.K.

May 30, 2008 8:20 AM in response to jcgnujcgnu

Hello again.

I just downgraded to 10.5.2 and here are two things I have to say:

1. My problem with my Internet connection was completely solved!! Here's the proof that 10.5.3 can mess up your Internet connection.

2. God bless Time Machine!! So easy to use... And it backed up everything! I just inserted the OS's CD and entered the installation boot. Then I selected "Backup from Time Machine" and that was it! It took about 40 minutes, but it restored everything without a problem!

Anyway, just wanted to give an update.

Jun 4, 2008 2:02 PM in response to V.K.

No option to back up unless you set up time machine TM? I couldn't set up TM because it was looking for a device I didn't have and gave me no other options. So now I can't roll back to 10.5.2 since .3 brought back the wireless connection issue for my macbook pro. As a new Mac user I am utterly disappointed in my Mac experience to date. I convinced my wife to get this because I was sick of MS updates always screwing things up.

I have to reinstall the OS from the recover disc. Does this process wipe out my saved data files/pics/documents, etc?

Jun 4, 2008 3:41 PM in response to inajeep

Backdating the OS is not particularly painful, but it does take some time.

If you don't have a backup of your user data, do it now.

Then reinstall from your Leopard disk. You will have to select the Archive and Install (preserve Users) option.

BEFORE YOU PERFORM THE INSTALL, use Disk Utility (from the Utilities menu of the installer DVD) and Repair Disk. It may find nothing wrong, but it if it does, you have to fix it.

If the installer that you have does not bring you to 10.5.2, then go to the Apple Downloads site and download the 10.5.2 combo updater and run it.

Then run software update, but DO NOT install 10.5.3.

You will find a new folder at the root level of your disk. It is called Previous Systems. You can either keep or trash it but it will likely have little use.

- gws

Jun 5, 2008 12:47 PM in response to inajeep

Some more details about the ins and outs of Time Machine can be found here

http://www.girr.org/mac_stuff/backups.html

If you are new to the Mac, you also might find some interesting stuff here

http://www.girr.org/mac_stuff/index.html

While an OS reinstall is a pain, a Mac OS reinstall does NOT NEARLY carry the same level of pain as a Windows reinstall. Generally, once you have finished the reinstallation of the OS, you can get back to work. Apps and users are not impacted UNLESS your disk is physically trashed and you have to reformat and do a clean install.

- gws

Uninstall 10.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.