Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install iTunes 7.6

Yesterday I opened up iTunes and was greeted by the following message:

"The iPod 'ipodname' cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 7.6 or later. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes".

OK so I went and downloaded the "latest" version which was 7.6.2. Then I tried to install it and received a message:

"The iTunes + Quicktime Installer requires Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later. To install the latest Windows XP Service Pack, use Windows Update."

I use Windows XP Pro RTM (which means pre-Service Pack 1) and had determined that I would lose functionality of my programs if i upgraded to SP2 (or even SP1). Upgrading to SP2 is not an option for me right now. I did manage to get iTunes installed by using the admin install mode for InstallShield executables, however now iTunes refuses to open with a similar service pack requirement message. So now I am left with an iPod that is usuable to me. My first idea was to downgrade the firmware to the factory defaults, but since (I reinstalled Itunes 7.4) iTunes tells me I need 7.6, it refuses to mount the device, meaning I can't reset it to factory defaults.

Am I to believe I am SOL here? I don't use any of the advanced features of iTunes, only the ability to synchronize music from a playlist. I don't even use iTunes to create the playlist. I am using a 4GB Nano.

1. Is there another method I can use to revert the firmware so I can use it with v7.4 again?
2. Is there a way to get v7.6 to run?

As it stands, I will be unable to use the iPod until I get a new computer, which is a few months away. I'd rather not have to go back to listening to cassette tapes again!

Intel D850MV, Windows XP Pro, RTM

Posted on May 29, 2008 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2008 4:30 PM

you wont like the answer, itunes 7.6 only works on SP2 or later, and the only way to downgrade ipod firmware is on a mac and involves wiping the HDD. there may be a 3rd party utility that can do the Mac OS Extended, format from within windows, but I only know the mac utility "Disk Utility"

Message was edited by: isoar4jc
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2008 4:30 PM in response to Tripredacus

you wont like the answer, itunes 7.6 only works on SP2 or later, and the only way to downgrade ipod firmware is on a mac and involves wiping the HDD. there may be a 3rd party utility that can do the Mac OS Extended, format from within windows, but I only know the mac utility "Disk Utility"

Message was edited by: isoar4jc

May 31, 2008 12:32 PM in response to isoar4jc

I took my ipod to my friend's house and she hooked it up to her Mac. She didn't have the latest iTunes either, and after installing the new version, she got a message that it required a higher version of the Mac OS.

So today I took it to the Apple Store and they "fixed" it for me, but it still says it requires iTunes 7.6 when iTunes detects that I have connected it.

Unable to install iTunes 7.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.