Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

The Future Of Shake????

3189 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2008 2:56 AM by randyarchy RSS
Bonesone4 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 2, 2008 11:12 AM
What's the future of Shake and it's users? I have no experience with Shake but am strongly considering learning from online tutorials and training DVD's recommended by some experts in the field of visual effects/compositing but my only gripe is the fact that "they" have stopped developing it. Is this true? Should I bother with Shake is, in a short while, it will be replaced by something new???? Help guys...

Bones
G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Jon Chappell Level 4 Level 4 (3,995 points)
    Jun 2, 2008 12:48 PM (in response to Bonesone4)
    It's $500 and they used it for Lord of the Rings and King Kong (among others). That's such a low price that I'll gladly take no support. Competing products have their own advantages but cost significantly more.

Apple have given no indication as to when a new version is coming so it could be tomorrow or it could be 5 years from now. In the world of technology there is always something around the corner and if you always wait for the next best thing, you'll be waiting forever.

Ask yourself: do I need this right now? If the answer is yes, buy it and it will serve you well. If not, hold off until you do need it in case something else comes out.
    Quad G5, 8 GB RAM; MacBook 2GHz Black, 2GB; PowerBook G4 1.5, 1 GB, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Final Cut Pro 6.0.2, Shake 4.0
  • randyarchy Calculating status...
    Jun 3, 2008 2:56 AM (in response to Jon Chappell)
    The fact that apple doesnt support it anymore really has had no impact on my use. I get more help from the forums then manufacturer anyway...with all the software i use.

As for waiting to buy it, you may want to learn the program before the you are given deadlines.
    Free trials are god for that.

/randy
    g5 dual 8gb kona 2, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.