Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song capacity for iPhone

I have ran a search for this question but nothing came up. How many songs can you load onto the device? I have a library that is over 2,000 songs, and was interested in purchasing an iPhone this summer.

Thanks in advance.

iPod Touch, iPod fifth generation, iPod fourth geneteration, MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jun 2, 2008 11:59 AM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2008 1:46 PM in response to Nightrain

Based on space measurements for the iPod touch (a comparable device) the 16 gig version should be able to hold 3,500 songs with the caveat that the files are 4 minutes long and encoded with 128-Kbps AAC. ACTUAL capacity is going to vary with content (if your music is shorter or of lower quality, more will fit on. If your music is longer or of higher quality, less will fit on).

Ignoring all that, though, if the size of your current library in iTunes is less than 13-14 gigs, then all of it should fit.

Jun 2, 2008 1:49 PM in response to Nightrain

The song capacity for the 16GB iPhone should be about the same as the 16GB iPod Touch, which is up to 3,500 songs.

Music capacity is based on 4 minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding - actual capacity varies by content.

Up to 3500 songs is also based on having no video or photos.

You can't get caught up with the up to number of songs advertisement, since the actual capacity varies by content.

Are all your songs encoded 128-Kbps AAC, and do all songs average 4 minutes per song?

It is more important to go by the storage capacity that your songs take up, which you can determine with iTunes - for all music, or by playlist, etc.

You won't have a full 16GB of storage capacity either. This is the decimal equivalent, which is not the actual. The actual storage capacity for my 8GB iPhone is only about 7.3GB. This takes into account the difference between the advertised storage capacity and the actual - which is less than advertised for all hard drives and flash drives. The same applies to your hard drive's actual capacity on your MacBook. And OS X takes up roughly 500MB or so of the actual.

Song capacity for iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.