Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete invisible tmp files

After using Screen Mimic software which is a screen video capture utility I noticed that I'm missing about 6GB of space. Using Omni Disk Sweeper I found a large data sitting in private/var/tmp and it is mostly quicktime file. One of those is about 2GB in size. So the questions is: is it safe to delete all those files?
Thank you!!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2008 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2008 4:28 PM

Log out and back in or Restart. That'll do the job for you,
13 replies

Jun 2, 2008 8:15 PM in response to Egor46

that means that it's not a swap file. Those can be quite large but are deleted on restarts. I don't know what those files are but I would urge you not to delete them unless you have a definitive advice from an expert that it's ok to do so.
Those system files are hidden for a reason and deleting even a single one can render your entire system inoperable.

Jun 3, 2008 11:18 AM in response to Egor46

1. Follow what orangekay told you (i.e. you can happily trash the contents of /var/tmp) and in addition contact the developer and suggest that he sees to it in the next release. Temporary garbage should be trashed when the app quits.

2. Follow what baltwo told you to get rid of excess swapfiles in /var/vm. Do NOT touch those by hand. After a reboot you will have only a 64MB swapfile0.

Jun 3, 2008 11:37 AM in response to orangekay

Thank you very much everyone!!

I deleted those big files in tmp and everything seems to be just fine.

Just one more little Q.

There are two more folders keep sitting in my var/tmp One called "mds" with some 4 folders inside of it and the other called "launchd" with a little private icon over it. Shell they go too or just just leave them alone?

Thank you!!!!!

Delete invisible tmp files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.