Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UFS2 (FreeBSD) support in Mac OS X?

Hi, apart from my new acquired macbook I also use FreeBSD a lot. So it happens I have some external harddrives around that are formatted with UFS2. Given that quite some code for Mac OS X originated from BSD Unix, I had some hope that there would be a driver for UFS available. During my research I even read some posts, that UFS appeared to be available as installation filesystem before HFS+ became mandatory.

I do not want to reformat my macbook, but it would be great if there is a chance to directly
mount my external harddrives. Unfortunately a mount_ufs or mount_ffs command does
not seem to be available. Maybe as an optional package?

Right now, the only way to access my external drives are to plug them into the BSD box,
export via NFS and then mount per NFS on the macbook. It works, but the data has to go over
the network and the BSD box must be running, obviously not the most efficient way...

Many thanks,
Daniel

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.3), external drive uses FreeBSD's UFS2, and is used by FBSD 7.0 boxen.

Posted on Jun 2, 2008 3:50 PM

There are no replies.

UFS2 (FreeBSD) support in Mac OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.