Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing the header and footer in Pages

I just began to use Pages after purchasing a new ibook. In AppleWorks, headers and footers were never inserted by default. In Pages, how can I remove the header and footer in Pages so I can have more space for the body section of the document?

Posted on Aug 6, 2005 10:31 AM

5 replies

Sep 9, 2005 12:39 PM in response to DennisG

It doesn't quite seem to do it for me.

Setting header and footer margins to zero definitely reduces their size, but does not seem to totally eliminate them. They still show up on the page layout and offset the body by about 1/8 inches at the top and bottom.

I am working on a document where it's a bit troublesome not to have 0" on the vertical page ruler align with the top of the body. Is there any way to totally eliminate the header and footer?

Rusty

Sep 9, 2005 3:36 PM in response to Rusty Ross

I agree that it is confusing in that you still see the header & footer outlines, but they are out of the layout area. It's not them that is causing the space you see, it is the margins. In the same document inspector you can set the margins, but be aware that most printers don't print text to the edge of the paper.

Sep 9, 2005 3:45 PM in response to Peggy

I had already set page margins to zero, and I disagree with you: Headers and footers still appear with a height of approximately 1/8 inch.

SInce I posted my previous message, I have experimented a bit. I was able to (almost but not quite) totally eliminate the header and footer by clicking into the header and footer area and reducing the font size to the absolute minimum. After having done that, the body was basically in-line with 0" on the vertical page ruler.

Also, in my opinion, whether or not most printers do a full page bleed is irrelevant. I should be able to work with the page body without its being offset from the page ruler if I don't want to employ a header or footer.

Rusty

Removing the header and footer in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.