Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen Time Machine Backup drive - security questions

Hi,

I had my Time Machine Backup drive stolen out of my bag at the airport. My question is, is there any security on the drive? i know its not encrypted, but i'm wondering if someone can plug the drive into another computer and have full access to all of my files w/o any need for password etc?

thanks,
-g

2.4 GHZ Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 6, 2008 10:50 AM

3 replies

Jun 6, 2008 11:00 AM in response to Graham - Sonos

Yes is the short answer.

If you were using File Vault, I think your backups would be encrypted too, but I don't use File Vault so I don't know for certain.

What I do is create a small encrypted disk image and store all of my sensitive information such as passwords, etc. on it. Your keychain on MacOS X is similarly encrypted, so those passwords are automatically safe. But any documents you had or e-mail messages, or address book info is all available.

Jun 6, 2008 11:15 AM in response to Graham - Sonos

Thanks for the reply. Not the answer i was hoping for. I have some of my most sensitive stuff in a dmg with a password, but lots of emails etc that are not.

Was thinking since time machine uses the new zfs (or whatever its called that allows multiple links to files) would it at least require a mac to mount the disk? can windows read it?

-g

Stolen Time Machine Backup drive - security questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.